What does System and Network Engineering at the UvA have to offer me?
SNE is the only academic Master's programme in The Netherlands that focuses on understanding, developing and maintaining complex IT systems and networks. It raises questions like:
- How do you apply different software components within a complex architecture, to end up with an efficiently working system?
- How do you make a system that not only technicians, but everybody can use?
SNE is unique because of:
- the focus on the patent OS3 principle (Open Standard, Open Software and Open Security), with openness and sharing of knowledge as key conviction
- the individual guidance by the top-notch teaching staff, with extensive experience in both research and industry
- the strong social cohesion amongst the highly motivated, skilled and international student population
- the uniquely designed SNE lab
- the possibility to focus on the area of your specific interest: Networking or Security
- the possibility to work with respected academic institutes and relevant organisations during your research projects
- the field trip abroad to learn more about a specific project or institute (like CERN in Switzerland), and about each other.
This track focuses on all aspects of security, and forensic intelligence and analysis. You will learn to trace digital evidence on all levels, from a single computer to a large network. It teaches you to track down cybercrime and to document digital evidence in a way that will hold up in court. The track course 'Cybercrime and Forensics' covers data acquisition from ICT infrastructures for investigative purposes in a forensically sound manner.
The 'Advanced Security' course discusses malware, and the security of radio-based technologies (GSM,Bluetooth,ZigBee) and mobile operating systems. It also teaches you how to run an efficient and effective security incident response team.
Students receive intensive, personal guidance by the academic staff. A team of three professors is permanently available for any questions or problems that may arise, and during practical assignments a practical teacher is present in the SNE lab.
The programme can be done as a part-time study, in two years instead of one. Various companies offer the possibility to do so during working hours.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 19, 2016