The modern medical biotechnology industry is a major component of global industrialised economies with impact around the world. The industry is demanding technical specialists with both business and scientific knowledge, requirements met by the MSc programme which covers a broad range of biomedical science, business and management skills as an integrated package.
Developed out of our successful Biotechnology, Bioprocessing & Business Management MSc, this course will provide you with knowledge and understanding of the key technical, business and societal issues relevant to the operation and development of medical biotechnology industries. It will equip you to make original and informed contributions to advance and develop these industries. It will also develop your capability to research and analyse market needs for medical product development, propose technical strategy based on up to date information and leading edge diagnostic technology.
Leading centres of expertise, including Life Sciences and Warwick Business School, form a multidisciplinary teaching faculty. The course is delivered by lecturers with internationally acknowledged academic, industrial and government expertise.
The course is a full time (over twelve months) or part time (over 24 months) taught programme with modular content, based around two strands:-
- Medical Biotechnology
- Business Management
Students will be required to complete ten core modules. They must also select a further two elective modules.
Teaching will be by interactive lectures, short question & answer sessions and small group interactive workshops/tutorials. Individual and team learning will be used for case study analysis.
All students will be required to undertake a project dissertation. Students will be encouraged to propose their own project title (selection subject to availability of an appropriate supervisor) although a range of potential titles will be offered. Projects will be non-laboratory based and generally undertaken at the University of Warwick under the supervision of an approved tutor.
- The Fundamentals of Biotechnology
- Entrepreneurship & Commercialisation
- Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering
- Business Strategy
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Marketing Management
- Biopharmaceutical Product & Clinical Development
- Essentials of Medical Genomics
- Medical Diagnostics
- Regenerative Medicine
- Chemotherapy of Infectious Diseases
- Fundamental Principles of Drug Design
- Laboratory Skills
- Microbiomics & Metagenomics
- Vaccines & Gene Therapy
Minimum second class Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences or Business Studies (students with a business background must be a high class student and demonstrate an interest in biological science). English language standard IELTS 6.5.
Study: Full time over 12 months or part time over 24 months.
Module options: 10 core modules, 2 elective modules, project dissertation.
Module assessments by a combination of written course work, individual/group seminar presentations and a multi-choice or short answer examination.
This MSc is suitable for those looking for a career in medical biotechnology and related industrial sectors where employees need multidisciplinary knowledge.
Graduates are expected to work in a wide range of jobs including project management, business development and general managerial positions.
Career destinations of our related course Biotechnology, Bioprocessing & Business Management alumni include:
- Binding Site Group Ltd
- Tata Technologies
- Frost & Sullivan
- European Medicines Agency
- PhD programmes
Their job titles include Business Analyst, Project Manager, Product Specialist, Regulatory affairs, Medical Writer, Business Development Manager, Research Associate and clinical Project Assistant.
- Clyde Higgs Scholarships, available to UK applicants for three of our taught MSc courses
- SLS Excellence Scholarships, a fee reduction of 50% for five excellent students
- University of Warwick GREAT Scholarships India, jointly funded by the British Council GREAT campaign and the University of Warwick.
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
- Chevening Scholarships, in addition to usual Chevening Scholarships, the School of Life Sciences is co-funding one Award supporting Latin American and Caribbean students
- Bursaries for students from Latin America and the Caribbean
Please contact us for more information.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 14, 2016