The MSc in Media and Communication programme aims to provide suitably qualified graduates an opportunity to develop a deep understanding of the field of media and communication at theoretical and practical levels. The programme is intended for graduates from the field of media and communication, the social sciences, advertising and public relations, for individuals already working in the media and trying to gain a profounder understanding of their field, and for others who want to develop and extend the range of their theoretical and professional media skills. It is also a stepping stone for any individual wanting to pursue a Ph.D. in the media and communication field.
THE EDUCATIONAL AIMS OF THE PROGRAMME ARE:
- to help students gain an advanced critical understanding of key issues, concepts and theories and the relationship between theory and practice in the field of media and communication;
- to help students to acquire a sound knowledge and understanding of media language and its iterations on different media platforms;
- to enable students to explore the implications of media analysis for work purposes;
- to develop in them an understanding of current methodology as
- it is embodied in media and communication practices;
- to encourage students to engage with theories underlying current views on communicative practices, including the importance of global and local media manifestations;
- to enable students to appreciate and view critically the connections made between theory and practice in the field of media and communication;
- to help students foster their abilities of conducting a research project;
- to assist students in obtaining practical expertise through practical modules and a work placement.
In addition, the programme provides an overview of the contemporary theoretical, methodological, practical and ethical principles which underpin research in the field of media and communication and schools students further in the theory and practice of applied media work.
- GLOBAL MEDIA CULTURES
- CONTEMPORARY MEDIA THEORY
- DIGITAL ETHICS
- SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT
- CONTEMPORARY CHINESE MEDIA ENVIRONMENT
- RESEARCH METHODS IN COMMUNICATION
- INTERACTIVE AND EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES
- ADVANCED PUBLIC RELATIONS AND ADVERTISING
- PRACTICAL SKILLS DEVELOPMENT (AUDIO/VIDEO, WEB DESIGN, PRINT MEDIA)
Students will graduate with a combination of critical and theoretical knowledge of the contexts of communication studies in combination with the opportunity for developing practical skills in digital media production. These, combined with the strong English language skills that studying at XJTLU gives, produces students who will be very attractive employees in an increasingly globalised workplace, for Chinese and international companies.
The department has a Digital Media Laboratory, featuring Apple iMac computers, Final Cut Pro X editing software and the Adobe suite of professional digital media production software, in addition to Sony high definition digital video production kits for short film-making, digital media and documentary production.
To apply or for more information regarding entry requirements, fees and scholarships please click here.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 25, 2016