The MSc Media and Communication programme aims to provide you with the opportunity to develop a deep understanding of the field of media and communication at theoretical and practical levels. The programme is intended for graduates from the fields of media and communication, the social sciences, advertising and public relations, for individuals already working in the media and trying to gain a more profound understanding of their field, and for others who want to develop and extend the range of their theoretical and professional media skills. It is also a stepping stone for any individual wanting to pursue a PhD in the media and communication field.
You will graduate with a critical and theoretical knowledge of the contexts of communication studies in combination with the opportunity to develop practical skills in digital media production. Combined with the strong English language skills that studying at XJTLU gives, this produces graduates who will be very attractive to Chinese and international companies in an increasingly globalised workplace.
The department has a digital media laboratory, featuring Apple iMac computers, Final Cut Pro X editing software and the Adobe suite of professional digital media production software, in addition to Sony high definition digital video production kits for short film-making, digital media and documentary production.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Unique selling points
By studying MSc Media and Communication you will benefit from:
• A unique combination of both media theory and practical training, something very few other masters programmes provide
• Additional Learning Activities that allow you the opportunity to work closely with top researchers and industry experts
• Gaining a superb understanding of the Chinese and international media markets. Knowledge and skills
The MSc Media and Communication programme will:
• give you an advanced critical understanding of key issues, concepts and theories and the relationship between theory and practice in the fields of media and communication
• instil a sound knowledge and understanding of media language and its iterations on different media platforms
• encourage your exploration of the implications of media analysis for work purposes
• help you develop an understanding of current methodology as it is embodied in media and communication practices
• encourage you to engage with theories underlying current views on communicative practices, including the importance of global and local media manifestations
• help you engage with and critically appreciate the connections between theory and practice in the field of media and communication
• foster your research skills and techniques
• provide hands-on expertise through practical modules and a work placement.
In addition, the programme provides an overview of the contemporary theoretical, methodological, practical and ethical principles that underpin research in the field of media and communication and develops your skills, knowledge and understanding further in the theory and practice of applied media work.
• Global media cultures
• Contemporary media theory
• Digital ethics
• Social media management
• Contemporary Chinese media environment
• Research methods in communication
• Interactive and emerging technologies
• Practical skills development.
• Advanced public relations and advertising
Additional learning activity modules
MSc Media and Communication graduates can enjoy careers in top international and Chinese media companies specialising in public relations, advertising and digital media amongst others.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in communication, media, English with media or similar. No practical experience is required, but some relevant media practice/background would be an advantage.
English language requirements
• IELTS: 7.0 (minimum of 6.0 in all sections)
• TOEFL iBT: 100 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 4, 2016