The MSc Marketing programme is intensive and academically challenging. It is designed to equip students with essential business knowledge, marketing expertise and personal skills demanded by businesses operating in today's increasingly competitive and global environment. The programme develops an ability to analyse relevant academic theories and apply models, tools and techniques to real business and marketing situations. Students are encouraged to develop independent, inquiring and critical approaches to organisational and marketing issues and problems.
Is the MSc Marketing the right degree for you
Marketing encompasses the various activities and processes that meet customers' needs at the right price, time and place. It is an exciting and innovative field of study including a wide range of topics such as consumer behaviour, communications and promotion, branding, market research and strategic marketing. If you want an exciting, fast-paced career where you can make a real and immediate impact, the MSc Marketing degree can provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge. This intensive and rigorous postgraduate programme is designed for recent high-calibre graduates in non-marketing disciplines who wish to develop competences in marketing as a means of broadening their career opportunities. The aim of the programme is to develop graduates with the knowledge of business and marketing and applicable skills required for marketing and leadership positions in industry or the public services.
What will you learn
On successful completion of the programme, you will have achieved many learning outcomes and developed an array of personal skills. For example, we expect you to be able to:
* exhibit a conceptual understanding of the main functional areas of marketing, understand its organisational context and have a systematic knowledge of the relevant literature
* display the capability to identify, analyse and implement appropriate conclusions for complex marketing problems
* critically evaluate your personal strengths, weaknesses and preferences, both in the context of your studies and your future career
* demonstrate strong communication skills in various contexts
* present confidence in working with others and an ability to influence and present coherent and persuasive arguments
Why Choose This Programme
The MSc Marketing has been designed in consultation with industry to ensure that it delivers the appropriate knowledge and skills to students to allow them to make a difference in the marketing arena. It also incorporates the latest academic marketing thinking and theories to ensure it is leading edge in all respects.
Unlike many other marketing courses, the MSc Marketing incorporates an industry placement as an assessed element of the curriculum. The aim of the placement is to guide and support students in developing career plans as well as providing the opportunity to put into practice the professional and decision making skills developed during ttaught elements of the programme.
On the MSc Marketing, you will enjoy various benefits unique to Caledonian Business School:
* The university prides itself on creating a friendly and highly supportive learning environment for all its students.
* All teaching and learning on the programme is supported by cutting edge e-learning technologies.
* Teaching is delivered in small groups allowing students to develop their own environment of shared learning and for individual learning needs to be addressed by tutors.
* Modules are designed to relate directly to real-world business and to give students opportunities to learn about potential career areas.
* The programme provide the opportunity for industry experience in real marketing positions as a means of focusing student’s career development
* The programme provides students the opportunity to attend Masterclasses from marketing practitioners and leaders of industry.
The programme runs over 12 months. In semester A, students take four modules; two in first six weeks of the semester and two in the second six weeks. During this first semester students will attend preparatory classes for the Work Placement. In semester B, students will undertake a 4-week work placement, followed by three specialist marketing modules in the final 8 weeks of the semester. Finally, students will be expected to complete a 15000 word dissertation on a marketing subject to be submitted in September.
- Marketing Theory and Practice
- Consumer Behaviour
- Organisations and the Business Environment
- The Marketing Challenge of International Business
- Work Placement Preparation
- Work Placement
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Marketing Planning anf Strategy
- Marketing Research Methods
The MSc Marketing provides students with an exceptional opportunity to develop a career in an area of business which is core to the success of any organisation. Opportunities in marketing management exist not only in the manufacturing and commercial sectors, but also in the public and non-profit sectors. The dynamic nature of marketing promises graduates an exciting and challenging future career. Graduates of the programme have developed careers in brand management, market research, sales, marketing communications, direct marketing and media planning in organisations of various sizes in various sectors such as Coca Cola, Lloyds TSB, Scottish Media Group, BT, Thomson Holidays, nPower and Bristol-Myers Squib. A number of graduates have used the knowledge and skills gained from the programme to successfully set up their own business.
Furthermore, students successfully completing the MSc Marketing are granted the maximum level of exemptions to the internationally recognised Chartered Institute of Marketing qualification framework.
Entry Requirements (Essential)
Normally, an applicant can gain entry to the MSc Marketing if they have achieved the equivalent of a UK Honours degree or equivalent. The degree will usually be in a non-marketing discipline. Two academic references are also required.