Marketing touches all aspects of an organisation and helps shape and direct corporate strategy.
Durham’s MSc Marketing programme will equip you with the essential skills and knowledge to excel long-term across all marketing-related careers.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is the leading professional body for marketers worldwide and exists to develop the marketing profession, maintain professional standards and improve the skills of marketing practitioners. Durham University has joined forces with CIM to give students the opportunity to gain professional qualifications through CIM Graduate Gateway. CIM qualifications are highly sought after by employers, and map alongside our own degrees which ensures we are equipping students with the best opportunities for a successful marketing career.
You will learn the application of key marketing models and theories to apply to real world scenarios. In Term 1, teaching is based on core learning that provides you with the opportunity to develop skills and experience relevant to a multitude of business marketing careers, from the commercial sector to charities and beyond.
Core modules are:
- Contemporary Marketing Communication
- Consumers and Consumption
- Marketing Theory
- Marketing Management and Strategy
You then choose one elective from a range which in the past has included Strategic Brand Management, Social Marketing, and Ethical Leadership.
In Term 2, the course includes optional modules to enable you to gain advanced-level training in contemporary marketing and management. You will have the opportunity to select elective modules to customise your learning.
The core module in Term 2 is Research Methods in Marketing, with elective modules across marketing and management pathways which in the past have included:
- Arts, Heritage & Tourism Marketing
- Global Marketing
- Retail Marketing Management
- Services Marketing
- Business to Business Marketing
- Competitive Strategies and Organisational Fitness
- Innovation and Technology Management
- New Venture Creation
- Society and Sustainability
- Advanced Marketing Strategy
Term 3: Business Project or Dissertation
In the summer, you will complete a 12,000-word dissertation on a business topic of your choice. This can be based on independent academic research or a business project (a real commercial challenge sourced by you or the school).
Supervised by a faculty member with relevant experience, you’ll investigate in greater detail a subject that you’ve already studied as part of your programme.
This is an opportunity for you to develop your business insight and present your analysis and ideas in a scholarly and professional manner; combine critical discrimination and a sense of proportion in evaluating evidence and the opinions of others.
Adding to your experience
If your ambitions lie beyond the UK, we offer a number of places on our unique Dissertation Abroad scheme. This will involve writing a dissertation at one of our international partner institutions in the period June to August. A number of scholarships are available
As part of your programme, you have the opportunity to enjoy presentations by academics and practitioners within your chosen area of interest. Past speakers have included representatives of major global multinationals such as Google, Deloitte and Sage in addition to leading academics, providing an ideal opportunity to gain practical knowledge and progressive insight.
Here are the steps in the admissions process:
- We will let you know when we’ve received your application.
- Once we’ve received all of your supporting documents, we will email you to let you know our decision.
- If the decision is to make you an offer of a place on the programme we will let you know by email. Please note we do not issue hard copy offer letters as these are not required to obtain a student visa.
- If you have requested university accommodation on your application form, the college will contact you direct. They will send you an accommodation application form, which you should complete and return direct to the college.
- You should confirm acceptance of your offer as soon as possible. In order to secure your place, you are required to pay a deposit within six weeks of the date of your original offer (check your offer documents for details of payment methods).
- International students requiring a student visa will receive a CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of Studies) via email once all offer conditions are met, acceptance and deposit have been received and you are within five months of the start date of your programme.
Please Note: You must let us know your own personal email address when applying. Please do not note use a University-linked email which may stop working once you complete your bachelor degree.
CIM Graduate Gateway
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is the leading professional body for marketers worldwide and exists to develop the marketing profession, maintain professional standards and improve the skills of marketing practitioners.
Durham University has joined forces with CIM to give students the opportunity to gain professional qualifications through CIM Graduate Gateway. CIM qualifications are highly sought after by employers, and map alongside our own degrees which ensures we are equipping students with the best opportunities for a successful marketing career.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 31, 2016