This programme will prepare you to pursue a career in management with multinational companies or companies engaged in international business; and to progress, if desired, to one of Birkbeck's research degree programmes.
It fosters the development of a broad-based knowledge and expertise in the following areas:
- The essentials of cross-border management theory and practice, and the core principles and practice of business and organisations in an international context.
- The design and implementation of strategy at different levels of the corporate organisation, particularly in an international dimension.
- A range of optional subjects in international business and management as well as specific functional areas that will broaden the scope of learning in international management, and its interface with international business.
- The analysis of conceptual and practical issues in international management through the pursuit of the dissertation, thus fostering powers of critical analysis and independent judgement to frame solutions to complex managerial problems in international business organisations.
- Personal skills development and generic skills that are transferable to a wide range of research, teaching and work situations, including the skills of self-discipline, reflection, analysis, communication, leadership and lifelong learning.
Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sport management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
We offer students of all ages and backgrounds a chance to study either part-time or full-time in our department and to gain an internationally recognised University of London qualification.
The Programme Director and Personal Tutor for this programme is Dr Odile Janne.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Distinct from other international management programmes because it promotes an interdisciplinary connection with the international business field, including strategy, and the opportunity to develop expertise in a range of functional areas of international management, such as human resource management, marketing, accounting and finance.
- Draws on the international reputation of Birkbeck's Department of Management. We have an established track record of success in offering a range of postgraduate programmes in international business and related fields.
- Profits from the expertise of Birkbeck's International Business and Strategy Research Group, a leading centre for research, training and policy advice.
- Taught by a team with an international reputation in their respective areas.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available. You will also have access to the Birkbeck Library and e-Library where you can obtain books and journal articles that are required for your studies.
Careers and employability
In past graduate destination surveys, our graduates told us they were applying their knowledge, skills and expertise by working for multinational companies such as Barclays, UBS, ESAB Holdings, as well as for international embassies based in London. In addition, our graduates worked for a range of consulting companies.
The acquired qualifications in international business and management provide graduates with general qualifications that are relevant and central in most business contexts in firms, business associations and government agencies. Personal careers advice is available via the University of London Careers Advisory Service.
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5225 pa
- Full-time home/EU students: £ 10450 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 7975 pa
- Full-time overseas students: £ 15950 pa