This programme is designed for students who want to specialise in the business environment of the European Union within a programme offering general international business content. The compulsory elements provide core training in principles of international business management and research methods, as well as a core (full-year) module in European Management and European Political Economy. We place emphasis on developing the necessary research skills to understand critically and to contribute constructively to research in the field of international business and management in general.
Students completing the programme will have developed knowledge, skills and competencies to be able to analyse problems in international business, in particular in relation to the business environment of the European Union, both in conceptual and practical terms; carry out research, in terms of critical appraisal; theory development and the application of theories, concepts and principles and the use of qualitative and quantitative research methods; understand the multidisciplinary context in which the knowledge about international business exists.
Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sport management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
We offer students of all ages and backgrounds a chance to study either part-time or full-time in our department and to gain an internationally recognised University of London qualification.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Provides a rigorous, research-based understanding of key issues in international business and management.
- Enables you to gain a critical, research-based understanding of a broad range of key issues in international business and management within a specialisation in the business environment of the European Union.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available. You will also have access to the Birkbeck Library and e-Library where you can obtain books and journal articles that are required for your studies.
Careers and employability
A number of our graduates either get promoted, or go on within their own work organisations, or branch into new careers in a variety of settings, including local and national government, business and industry. The qualification in international business and management provides graduates with general skills that are relevant and central in most business contexts in firms, business associations and government agencies. The emphasis on business within the European Union gives you a specialisation that is highly valued in many contexts.
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5225 pa
- Full-time home/EU students: £ 10450 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 7975 pa
- Full-time overseas students: £ 15950 pa