MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
This unique and highly innovative Masters degree programme gives a taste of what it is like to run your own business and will appeal equally to aspiring entrepreneurs and those seeking leadership positions within larger organisations.
Much of the learning takes place outside the classroom so that students can see first-hand how business works in China and can develop an understanding of how to engage effectively with international partners and clients.
You will gain hands on experience by formulating and developing a business idea into a real business plan, while the Entrepreneurial Project will provide the opportunity to be embedded in a company where you can develop your innovative skills. These activities will engage you face-to-face with entrepreneurs in practice and expose you to real world business problem solving.
The MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management programme is designed to enable students to:
- develop skills in creative thinking and problem solving.
- examine and assess the importance of innovation and its management.
- gain exposure to “real life” entrepreneurial situations.
- develop a clear understanding of the issues in financing and marketing that face the entrepreneur.
- gain an overview of the patterns and the practices of entrepreneurship in Greater China.
- develop skills in experiential, interactive and integrative learning.
- develop team working skills.
- obtain insights into the historical and current ideas in entrepreneurship.
Applicants for this programme can have a first degree of any discipline. A second class honours in the first division or equivalent in their first degree is normally required.
Teaching and learning
Teaching and learning sessions are highly interactive, with a case study focus, so that there is less emphasis on abstract theory and more emphasis on acquiring knowledge and decision-making skills that can be applied. Unlike ordinary marketing, finance and accounting programmes, entrepreneurship students will explore these subjects from the unique perspective of an entrepreneur, helping them to gain an understanding of the specific challenges faced when starting and developing a new business.
Career options for this degree
This degree provides an ideal study path for people wishing to start their own business or be involved in early stage start-up companies. Equally, as larger organisations are increasingly valuing people who can innovate and act entrepreneurially from a management perspective, those looking to pursue management careers will gain highly relevant and applicable skills.
Additionally the programme provides a strong base from which to undertake post graduate research study into the area of entrepreneurship.
The MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management programme can be taken on a full-time or part-time basis and commences in the September of each year. Students are required to take taught modules and prepare an individual dissertation or an extended business plan.
The structure of this programme is modular, with individual taught modules each typically have a weighting of 15 credits. One credit represents 10 hours of student work, meaning that a 15 credit module represents 150 hours of study including formal teaching, independent study, revision, and preparation for assessments. This degree requires the successful completion of 180 credits; 90 of which consist of taught modules, 30 for an Entrepreneurship project and 60 credits for the Entrepreneurship Business Plan or Dissertation project.
Students must complete 180 credits in total.
Code Title Credits
- P14T24 Entrepreneurship and Creativity 15
- P14T25 Marketing for Entrepreneurial Firms 15
- P14T26 Entrepreneurial Finance and Accounting 15
- P14B51 Innovation Management 15
Code Title Credits
- P14T28 Entrepreneurial Project 30
- and a choice of two from the following:
- P14T29 Launching New Ventures 15
- P14T27 Entrepreneurial Management 15
- P14T31 Entrepreneurship in Greater China 15
- PT4116 Managing International Business in China 15
- P14M75 Social Entrepreneurship 15
- P14B41 E-business 15
OR other Masters modules offered at Nottingham University Business School China, subject to pre-requisite restrictions and/or the approval of the Programme Director.
- Entrepreneurship Dissertation or Entrepreneurship Business Plan 60 Credits
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 16, 2015