The MSc Economics programme provides high-quality training in economics and financial economics. It is intended for those who want to develop the required knowledge and acquire the necessary skills to pursue a research-oriented career in academia, research institutions, central banks, international organisations and the financial industry. You will be registered as an off-site University of Liverpool postgraduate research student, while physically enrolled in the programme at International Business School Suzhou in China.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education. This programme is both a stand-alone masters programme, as well as a prerequisite for those who wish to study for a PhD degree in economics or financial economics. The IBSS PhD programme in economics has as its goal to offer the best PhD training in economics in China and the best PhD programme related to the Chinese economy in the world.
You are required to take the following core modules, followed by a research project (dissertation). There will be a two-week intensive focus on mathematics and statistics at the start of the first semester.
• Microeconomic theory
• Macroeconomic theory I
• Time series analysis.
You may choose four modules from the list below, according to your research interests and under the advice and guidance of the programme director, dissertation supervisor and other senior academic staff in IBSS.
• Mathematics for economists
• Probability essentials for financial calculus
• Information asymmetries and mechanism design
• Macroeconomic theory II
• Asset pricing
• Stochastic modelling in finance
• Game theory
• The Chinese economy and financial system.
Additional learning activity modules
• Participation in IBSS research seminar series
• Presentation of scholarly research paper
• Chinese language (for international students)
• English language (for pre-sessional students)
• Graduate teaching assistantship
• Graduate research assistantship
• Graduate work placement
• In-company project
• Thomson One Certificate achievement
• EIKON Certificate achievement
• Datastream Certificate achievement…and many others.
The MSc Economics programme has a substantial theoretical and methodological core, which provides an essential basis for students moving on to doctoral level study and an academic career. Industry opportunities may manifest themselves in the form of research posts in private and public sector organisations.
RMB 120,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in finance, accounting, economics, management, science or engineering and some understanding of quantitative methods, statistics or econometrics.
English language requirements
• IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
• TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 4, 2016