The main aim of this Master's degree is to provide a postgraduate-level education for those interested in studying the complex and changing relationships between business corporations, their stakeholders (shareholders, employees, customers, suppliers, etc.) and the societies in which they operate.
The economic and financial aspects of corporate governance relationships have long been of concern to those in the business and investment communities, and in recent years the social, political and moral aspects of these relationships have also become a major public concern. This programme aims to address both these sets of issues and to meet the needs of people wishing to engage critically with the policy aspects of corporate governance as well as those wishing to be involved professionally in the direction and regulation of companies and the management or trusteeship of pension funds and other investments.
The programme is available 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time and combines coursework and independent research leading to a dissertation.
Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sport management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
We offer students of all ages and backgrounds a chance to study either part time or full time in our department and to gain an internationally recognised University of London qualification.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- The programme is international in scope, recognising both the wide variety of cultures and corporate governance systems within which businesses operate worldwide and the increasing globalisation of business and finance.
- The programme builds on the Department of Management’s research strength in Corporate Governance and Business Ethics. This is supported by the London Centre for Corporate Governance and Ethics research centre.
- The programme combines an interdisciplinary approach with an in-depth research training in management. It provides a strong foundation for PhD research in the area and has achieved ESRC Research Training recognition.
- The programme benefits from the involvement of a number of leading figures in the field including members of national and international committees on corporate governance, shareholder activists and NGO representatives.
- The programme has a number of streams, enabling students to concentrate on particular areas within the broader field of corporate governance and ethics, including: Public Sector Governance (in collaboration with the Department of Politics); Environmental Issues in Corporate Governance (in collaboration with the Department of Geography); and Finance, Accounting and Strategy. Students completing the MSc, with the focus on Finance, Accounting and Strategy, will be exempted from 4 of the taught modules required for the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA) Professional Qualification, Grad ICSA.
- Designed for those wishing to engage critically with the issues of business and society and those wishing to be involved professionally in corporate governance or corporate social responsibility.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available. You will also have access to the Birkbeck Library and e-Library where you can obtain books and journal articles that are required for your studies.
Careers and employability
Graduates go on to careers in management in a variety of settings, including local and national government, business and industry. Current graduates are working for companies including Barclays, The Prince’s Trust, Ethical Corporation, the United Nations PRI, Aviva Investors, PIRC and P-Solve.
In a recent graduate destination survey, our graduates were working for employers including HSBC, Smith & Nephew, Transport for London and the Department for Constitutional Affairs.
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5225 pa
- Full-time home/EU students: £ 10450 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 7975 pa
- Full-time overseas students: £ 15950 pa
Last updated March 14, 2016