This Master's degree in career management and coaching combines an in-depth study of career management, counselling and coaching with practical training in career coaching skills, the development of research skills and the academic study of behaviour at work. The programme aims to equip coaches, consultants and HR professionals to work with groups and individuals at relational depth in organisations. It will enable you to critically evaluate theory, research and practice in these fields.
It is one of the few programmes in the UK to focus on adult career management and coaching. It attracts individuals working in a wide range of settings and organisational contexts, and provides excellent opportunities for peer learning and networking.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Suitable for those wanting careers in adult career counselling and other career-based roles, such as mentoring or coaching.
- Unique combination of theoretical rigour and practical skills training.
- The Department of Organizational Psychology is renowned for its quality teaching and expertise in the delivery of part-time programmes.
- A flexible programme available by evening study or network learning. Both modes of study include 21 skills days.
- Access to an extensive range of electronic resources, including specially prepared texts for each module. Use of the online learning environment with a high level of staff support.
You complete 9 taught compulsory modules and undertake training in career coaching skills.
You also complete a supervised independent applied research project of 10,000-12,000 words.
Careers and employability
Career coaching is an expanding profession, given the changing world of work. A large number of students have completed these programmes over the years, and they have a high success rate in applying for jobs in the field. Some have joined career management and outplacement agencies; some have taken up positions in university careers advisory services; others have set up their own private practice. Not all want to spend their time doing one-to-one work, however, and some use the skills and knowledge gained on the course to progress in their current management role: for example, some with HR backgrounds have taken the lead in their organisation to develop career management initiatives for employees.
In a recent graduate destination survey, our graduates told us they were working as managers and consultants for law firms, the British Council, Shell, American Express and the London Business School.
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5975 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 8750 pa
- Distance learning home students: £ 5975 pa
- Distance learning overseas students: £ 8750 pa