The bioprocessing and biotechnology industries are major components of global industrialised economies with impacts in medicine, pharmaceuticals, manufacture and the food sector. Management of change requires a new calibre of technical specialist who will have business acumen and a scientific knowledge base.
This MSc equips its students with the necessary tools and expertise to become an entrepreneur, offering key business information and industrially relevant knowledge.
Leading centres of expertise, including Life Sciences and Warwick Business School, form a multidisiplinary teaching faculty. The course is delivered by lecturers with internationally acknowledged academic, industrial and government expertise.
The course is a full time, twelve month taught programme with modular content, based around three strands:-
- Business Management
- Biotechnology & Molecular Biology
The course programme focuses on:
- Manufacture of biochemicals, pharmaceuticals, devices and materials
- Genetic engineering and the fundamentals of biotechnology
- Business management, economics and finance
- Marketing management
- Commercialisation of products, IP
- Food, biotechnology and microbiological processing
- Fuels and energy
- Industries based on renewable and sustainable resources
- Production technologies
- Plant design and economic analysis
- Students will be required to complete nine core modules. They must also select a further three elective modules.
Teaching will be by interactive lectures, short question & answer sessions and small group interactive workshops/tutorials. Individual and team learning will be used for case study analysis.
All students will be required to undertake a project dissertation. Students will be encouraged to propose their own project title (selection subject to availability of an appropriate supervisor) although a range of potential titles will be offered. Projects will be non-laboratory based and generally undertaken at the University of Warwick under the supervision of an approved tutor.
- Introduction to the fundamentals of biotechnology
- Molecular biology and genetic engineering
- Biochemical engineering
- Bioproduct plant design and economic analysis
- Business strategy
- Accounting and financial management
- Marketing management
- Entrepreneurship & commercialisation
- Biopharmaceutical product & clinical development
(availability dependent on demand)
- Microbiomics & metagenomics
- Environmental protection, risk assessment and safety
- Impact of biotechnology on the use of natural resources
- Fundamental principles of drug discovery
- E-business: Technology and management
- Chemotherapy of infectious disease
- Vaccines and gene therapy
- Laboratory Skills
This MSc is suitable for those looking for a career in biotechnology and related industrial sectors where employees need multidisciplinary knowledge. Graduates work in a wide range of jobs including project management, business development and general managerial positions.
Career destinations of our alumni include:
- Binding Site Group Ltd
- Tata Technologies
- Frost & Sullivan
- European Medicines Agency
- PhD programmes
Job titles include Business Analyst, Project Manager, Product Specialist, Regulatory affairs, Medical Writer, Business Development Manager, Research Associate and clinical Project Assistant.
Minimum second class Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences, Engineering or Business Studies (students from an engineering or business background must be a high class student and demonstrate an interest in biological science). English language standard IELTS 6.5.
Study: Full time over 12 months.
Module options: 9 core modules, 3 elective modules, project dissertation.
Module assessments by coursework and exam.
Overseas £19,680 (bursary included) European £6,800 (bursary included)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 23, 2016