About the Course
This new course provides a unique mix of multimedia and interaction design processes, design of 3D virtual reality and animation media, AV media and effects, and 3D media combined with real and virtual studio and on-location multimedia creation.
It not only focuses on the creative art and design aspects of digital media, but also on the theory and practice of the technical tools and techniques required for creating 3D, interactive real and virtual reality media through the development of design and technology knowledge, understanding and skills.
View a showcase of our students’ dissertation videos, showreels and web portfolio.
The MSc programme in Advanced Multimedia Design and Virtual Reality Technologies aims to develop a thorough knowledge of the design principles and techniques required for the design of combined real and virtual interactive and 3D multimedia.
Students of the course will:
- Develop advanced knowledge and skills relevant to the design and creation of combined real, virtual interactive and 3D multimedia and tools to assist in the creation of combined real and virtual interactive and 3D multimedia.
- Develop the ability to design complex combined real and virtual interactive and 3D multimedia creations, and the versatility to apply a variety of different design tools and technologies across a range of different media areas to realise the creation.
- Develop creativity and independent learning ability required for continuing professional development, further research, and for acquiring new skills at a high level.
- Gain an appreciation of the current research directions and opportunities that are available in this field of research.
Our green screen TV studio lab, audio studio and cutting edge design tools are amongst our range of advanced equipment available to students. Design tools used during the course include:
- Advanced 3D Technologies – 3D Studio, Vicon Motion Capture, Motion Builder, 3D Stereo Video
- Multimedia and Interaction Design – Flash and Action Script
- Audio Visual Post Production – AfterEffects, Final Cut Pro, Nuke, Logic Studio Pro
- 3D Film Design and Production – Nuke, Ocular.
Brunel’s Design department is active in many areas of the research and we consistently rank amongst the top UK universities for student satisfaction. Download a summary - Advanced Multimedia Design and 3D Technologies: Present and Future Research Activities.
State of the art student projects and placements
Multimedia and 3D design students at Brunel are renowned for their imaginative, creative work.
The programme fully prepares students for work in multimedia companies that develop rich media content. Specific roles graduates are expected to enter include:
- 3D graphics designers and animators
- Audio visual pre- and post-production designers
- Real and virtual studio designers
- Games designers and programmers
- Multimedia learning tool designers
- Broadcast TV media designers
- 2nd generation internet media designers
- 4th generation cellular media designers.
The programme also prepares students to carry out related academic research. A number of students in various disciplines within the College have stayed on to carry out a PhD at Brunel University. On average, one student of high academic achievement per year is offered a PhD position.
At Brunel we provide many opportunities and experiences within your degree programme and beyond – work-based learning, professional support services, volunteering, mentoring, sports, arts, clubs, societies, and much, much more – and we encourage you to make the most of them, so that you can make the most of yourself.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 6, 2016