Delivered at Queen’s Campus Stockton, the MSc Accounting programme is designed to help prepare you to compete in an increasingly international job market.
Launched in 2015, our innovative MSc Accounting programme sits within Durham’s portfolio of Masters programmes. A one year full-time programme, it provides an opportunity for you to develop an in-depth understanding of the theory and practice of accounting as well as the critical thinking skills so valued by employers. The MSc in Accounting covers key accounting topics including financial statements and their preparation, the practical limitations of financial reporting, and the regulatory framework and its complexities.
This is an ideal programme to choose if you’re looking to pursue a career in accountancy, finance and business.
ACCA Academic Professional Partnership Programme
A key feature of the programme is the ACCA AcademicProfessional Partnership Programme (APPP) from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). Eligible students, alongside studying for their Masters degree, have the option to register with the ACCA for the APPP. This pathway provides a recognised level of tuition towards two separate Professional Level papers, P1 and P2 of the ACCA qualification. For more information on the ACCA qualification visit www.accaglobal.com
Please note: Students who have successfully passed ACCA’s Fundamental level exams, F1-F9, or have exemptions from the Fundamental level (in addition to meeting Durham University’s normal entry requirements for Postgraduate programmes) are eligible to apply for this pathway
To achieve your qualification you will need to successfully complete eight core modules, and a dissertation or business project. Should you choose to study towards the ACCA Academic Professional Partnership Programme you will also be required to sit two Professional Level papers, P1 and P2 of the ACCA qualification.
Core and elective modules
You will study:
- Accounting Theory
- Auditing and Assurance Services
- Contemporary Issues in Accounting and Taxation
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Reporting
- Financial Planning and Control
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Research Methods & Methodology in Accounting
In the third term you will complete a 12,000 word dissertation which could be a specific project with an organisation. Supervised by a faculty member with relevant experience, you’ll investigate in greater detail a subject that you’ve already studied as part of your programme.
This is an opportunity for you to develop your business insight and present your analysis and ideas in a scholarly and professional manner; combine critical discrimination and a sense of proportion in evaluating evidence and the opinions of others.
Adding to your experience
As part of your programme, you have the opportunity to enjoy presentations by academics and practitioners within your chosen area of interest. Past speakers have included representatives of major global multinationals and leading academics, providing an ideal opportunity to gain practical knowledge and progressive insight.
This Masters programme provides an opportunity for students who have successfully passed ACCA's Fundamental s exams (papers F1-F9) or have exemptions from the Fundamentals exams from a previous qualification.
The main benefit of this Masters programme is that while you are studying at Durham University Business School, you can also study towards two ACCA Professional-level exams. They are: P1 Governance, Risk and Ethics and P2 Corporate Reporting.
This is an ideal programme to choose if you are looking to pursue a career in accountancy, finance and business which will give you a strong advantage when entering an increasingly competitive employment market.
There are many benefits to completing the MSc Accounting - Academic Professional Partnership Programme, including:
- studying at Durham University Business School, a top UK Russell Group University
- a one- year Masters degree programme that has been designed to include two of ACCA's Professional level papers
- a pathway specifically created for progression from BSc to MSc Accounting, while also completing ACCA Professional level papers
- studying within an international context gives you a competitive edge on a global level , will help increase your employability which is attractive to employers around the world.
ACCA exemptions and exam fees will be waived for the first 25 eligible students accepted onto the programme, upon sitting Professional exams: P1 and P2 during 2015/16 only.
The MSc Accounting programme is an ACCA Academic Professional Partnership Programme.
Here are the steps in the admissions process:
- We will let you know when we’ve received your application.
- If applicable, you will be asked to pay our application fee.
- Once we’ve received all of your supporting documents, we will email you to let you know our decision.
- If the decision is to make you an offer of a place on the programme we will let you know by email. Please note we do not issue hard copy offer letters as these are not required to obtain a student visa.
- If you have requested university accommodation on your application form, the college will contact you direct. They will send you an accommodation application form, which you should complete and return direct to the college.
- You should confirm acceptance of your offer as soon as possible. In order to secure your place, you are required to pay a deposit within six weeks of the date of your original offer (check your offer documents for details of payment methods).
- International students requiring a student visa will receive a CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of Studies) via email once all offer conditions are met, acceptance and deposit have been received and you are within five months of the start date of your programme.
Note: The University is under no obligation to make any offer of a place on the programme to any applicant, nor is the University obligated to fill all spaces available on the programme.
Consideration of any application received by the University after expiry of the deadlines specified herein, shall be made at the sole discretion of the University.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 25, 2016