MSc Accounting and Finance
This programme provides students with a solid understanding of accounting and finance principles. It has been designed for graduates from any academic discipline who wish to become senior business managers or seek a career in accounting and finance.
Outline of programme
The taught modules will give you a clear understanding of the joint role of accounting and finance in ensuring successful operations in a range of business settings, including financial, non-financial and public sector organisations and in providing information to interested parties.
- Management Accounting (Double Module)
- Business Finance
- International Finance
- Financial Analysis
- Sustainability Accounting and Accountability
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Corporate Governance, Regulation and Compliance.
The taught modules are assessed through a mixture of examinations and coursework. The taught element of the programme is complemented by a substantial piece of research leading to the completion of a 60 credit/project.
Successful completion of this programme leads to exemptions from professional accountancy bodies the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). You will still need to secure professional training and complete further exams in order to become fully qualified in accountancy, but these exemptions demonstrate to future employers your commitment and potential to complete sector qualifications.
This programme is designed forthose wishing to acquire expertise in both accounting and finance, while developing the necessary skills for senior management roles in those areas. Examples of positions secured by recent graduates include; Assurance Trainee (ACA) - PwC, Auditor - Deloitte and Touche, Consultant - KPMG (Munich, Germany), Assurance Accountant - Grant Thornton (Singapore) and Import Stock Manager – Handelsbanken (Birmingham, UK).
One of the following:
- A good UK honours degree (minimum lower second class)
- Equivalent overseas degree recognised by Aston University.
As well as:
- Two professional references – at least one must be from an academic referee
- An official academic transcript of your university grades to date
- A completed application form.
For International Students:
- An official academic transcript, with an official English translation, of your university grades to date
- International students whose native language is not English will also need to satisfy our English language requirements with one of the following:
- TOEFL Internet Based Test score of 93 overall, with a minimum score of 22 in speaking, 19 in listening, 26 in writing and 18 in reading. Please note that TOEFL scores are subject to terms and conditions.
- IELTS score of 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 6.5 in writing and speaking and 6 in listening and reading).
Pre-sessional English language programmes are available for good applicants whose English qualification falls just short of these requirements.
This school offers programs in: