MSSc in Outdoor Environmental Education and Outdoor Life, 60 credits
The programme aims to provide students with knowledge and understanding of how outdoor studies can enhance learning and contribute to health, sustainable development and an active citizenship.
The programme focuses on experiential learning based on nature, culture and society. Teaching includes outdoor field-related experiences and learning in and via natural and cultural landscapes. The advanced courses in educational science will help teachers and other educators to understand learning processes and how the society, nature and the cultural landscape can be used as resources for learning and understanding.
- increase their knowledge about children’s and young people’s understanding and learning processes in the extended classroom
- further develop their understanding and knowledge of how outdoor environmental education and outdoor life can contribute to environmental understanding, cyclic thinking and increased responsibility for health, citizenship and sustainability
- develop a thematic perspective on how the urban and rural landscape can be used as a resource for learning
- develop their skills in describing, interpreting and explaining cultural and environmental experiences through field work in real environments.
Students should be prepared to pay for trips, food and lodging included in the programme.
Following the final examination, students will have gained theoretical knowledge and practical experience for working with school development or in a leading position in the educational field. Alternatively, students may continue to conduction research leading to a doctoral degree.
- Degree: Master of Social Science with a major in Didactics (with emphasis on Outdoor Education)
- Language: English
- Duration: One year, 60 credits
- Pace of study: Full-time
- Campus: Linköping
- Application code: LIU-91201
- Application period: 16 Oct - 15 Jan
- Start date: August / September
Citizens from within the EU/EEA and Switzerland: No tuition fees
All others: SEK 125,000 (approx. USD 20,000/EUR 14,000 ) per academic year
Programme specific requirements
- A teacher or pre-schoolteacher degree of at least 180 credits, or
- A bachelor's degree with a major in education or the equivalent
Last updated February 7, 2016