MS in Education, Online Teaching and Learning
The California State University, East Bay Master of Science in Education, Option in Online Teaching and Learning (MS-OTL) meets the needs of university and college faculty, K-12 teachers, corporate and military trainers, educational administrators, curriculum designers, technical support staff, and others who design, implement, and teach online courses.
Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), the program is one of the most comprehensive online teaching and learning training programs offered in the world and students who take advantage of it will become experts in the pedagogy of online instruction. Students who opt for the certificate program can apply those courses toward the master's program. Both are offered online.
The online-only format makes the program convenient for anyone in the world, not just those who live or work in the San Francisco East Bay Area. Students can look forward to a hands-on, rigorous curriculum in which both the instructors and fellow students provide detailed feedback on every project and should expect to spend 10-12 hours or more per week on each class. They can communicate with their instructors and advisors in a variety of ways: e-mail, telephone, chat room office hours, and/or videoconference. A high-speed Internet connection is strongly recommended.
- To give graduates a thorough knowledge of the pedagogy of online teaching and learning, from synchronous versus asynchronous learning and instructional design for students with disabilities to the variety of technology tools that can be used.
- To prepare graduates to create fully online courses, all built on up-to-date best practices in OTL, from whatever current teaching or training materials they now use.
- To give graduates the confidence and up-to-date knowledge necessary to design, implement and teach effective online courses.
Who Should Attend
- University and college faculty, K-12 teachers, corporate and military trainers, educational administrators, curriculum designers, technical support staff and others who want to learn how to convert teaching or training materials currently delivered face-to-face into a completely online course or program and seek the most thorough training available.
- Educators and trainers who already design, implement, or teach online courses who seek to update their skills and knowledge of evolving best practices in online learning and desire a distinction and level of expertise that can help them advance in their careers.
Type of degree conferred: Master of Science Degree
Number of courses: 10 courses
Program length: 15 months
Current tuition fees: $1,327.50 per course
(Tuition fees are subject to change at any time without notification)