The overwhelming developments and advances in the fields of medicine, biotechnology, and the environment are mostly due to the recent achievements and breakthroughs in the field of molecular biology, basically through a better understanding of genetic systems. Molecular biology methodologies are now employed in environmental studies, and in remediation of polluted ecosystems. They have direct applications in the fields of infertility, hormonal and immune disorders, and genetic diagnosis and therapy. They are employed in the production of new therapeutic drugs, growth factors, vaccines, foods, and much needed novel bio-molecules.
The M.S. in Molecular Biology Program at the Lebanese American University gives its students advanced knowledge and tools for basic molecular biology investigations and applications.
The purpose of the M.S. in Molecular Biology Program is to provide students with:
- Expertise education in molecular and diagnostic microbiology, nutrition, physiology, and affiliated medical disciplines.
- An opportunity, through biotechnology, to meet the challenges of the future in the various fields of applied Biology.
- Basic research efforts on molecular biology problems that will advance our understanding of disease processes, and the methods for therapy or cure.
- Updated revolutionary molecular technologies, and to train them to deal with the increasing man-made degradation of the environments.
Student learning outcomes
Graduates in the M.S. in Molecular Biology will be able to:
- Choose appropriate experimental strategy for research in basic and molecular biology.
- Collect, quantify, summarize, interpret, and present biological data.
- Perform laboratory techniques in basic biology, molecular biology, and biotechnology (protein purification, centrifugation, chromatography, ELISA, gel electrophoresis, DNA purification, PCR based methods, methods for introduction of genes in cloning vectors, DNA fingerprinting, analysis of DNA sequence information with bioinformatics tools, immunodetection, etc…).
- Use computers, and other available technology, in the study of molecular biology.
- Use the library databases, and access the Internet, to conduct literature searches to complete the required class Project and Thesis.
- Explain and integrate biological principles, as applied to basic and molecular biology.
- Show a fundamental body of knowledge in basic and molecular biology.
- Develop a strong diversified background in modern biology, appropriate to the individual student goals.
- Develop critical-thinking, and problem based learning skills.
- Develop the ability to communicate scientific ideas in both written, and oral, formats.
- Understand the current trends in molecular and genetic research, and critically appraise published work.
- Demonstrate an ability to design, undertake, and interpret, a research project, presented in the form of a dissertation.
This school offers programs in: