MPhil in Philosophy
Duration: 2 years (Full-time)
Place: Hong Kong
The Department of Philosophy at Lingnan has 15 members. They cover all the main areas in philosophy in their research and teaching, including aesthetics, epistemology, ethics, metaphysics, history of Chinese and Western philosophy, logic, philosophy of language, philosophy of mind, and philosophy of science. The work of Lingnan philosophers has been published by leading publishers (like Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press) and in top journals (like British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Ethics, Mind, Nous, Philosophical Quarterly, Philosophical Studies, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Philosophy of Science, and Philosophy of Science).
Given the breadth and high quality of research done by Lingnan philosophers, the department is one of the best places in Asia for undertaking doctoral studies in philosophy, especially in analytic philosophy. The department is a place of lively philosophical exchanges in our regular staff seminars and even more in informal and frequent debates on an ad hoc basis.
Application for Admission
Applicants who are interested in seeking admission to the MPhil programme should apply to the University directly. Successful applicants will normally be provided with a Postgraduate Studentship with a monthly stipend of HK$14,940* (US$1 = HK$7.8).
*rate subject to review
The University invites applications from 2 November 2015 to 29 January 2016. Late applications will be considered on an individual basis, subject to the availability of places.
General Admission Requirements
- An applicant for admission to candidature for the degree of MPhil should normally:
- a. hold a relevant bachelor's degree with first or second class honours or at an equivalent standard awarded by a tertiary education institution recognised for this purpose by the University; or
- b. have obtained an equivalent qualification; or
- c. have provided satisfactory evidence of academic and professional attainment.
- In addition to the above, an applicant whose degree is not from a tertiary institution in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country should obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a band score of 6.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent score in a recognised test, or an equivalent qualification to prove his/her language proficiency which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are required to fulfill additional requirements, if any, set by the programmes to which they apply for admission.
Programme Specific Admission Requirements
In lieu of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)/ International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores, an applicant may obtain grade C or above in the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language; or grade C or above in English Language in the Overseas General Certificate of Education (GCE).
An applicant may be required to demonstrate his/her ability in English and/or Chinese through means of an interview.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 16, 2015