MDP in English Language and Culture
This programme, taught entirely in English and aimed at international applicants, seeks to provide an opportunity to study English from a variety of literary and linguistic perspectives. The degree consists of coursework and a research thesis. The objectives of the programme include in-depth understanding of the multifacetedness of contemporary English studies; increased awareness of key debates in contemporary linguistics and literary studies; and an ability to carry out independent research. The enrolment for this programme is limited to the maximum of four (4) international students per year.
During their studies, students will specialize on linguistics or literary and cultural studies. The Department has internationally recognized areas of strength in both linguistics and literary studies. In linguistics, these include dialectology, language contact, language variation and change, pragmatics, and bilingualism. In literary and cultural studies, the Department's areas of strength include postcolonial and ethnic literatures, American literature, popular fiction, and contemporary fiction.
The MA consists of the following elements:
- Coursework in English (40 ECTS) consisting of a research seminar (5 ECTS), an obligatory methodology course (5 ECTS) and optional courses (30 ECTS),
- MA thesis (40 ECTS; ca. 20,000 words),
- Other studies (40 ECTS). These may include extra studies in English, other studies offered by the University, or a work placement.
- The University of Eastern Finland will accept a temporary BA certificate / a certificate of completion of studies (all BA studies must be completed) from countries where final BA certificates take extra time to receive for administrative reasons.
- TOEFL: 600 (Paper Based Test) / 100 (Internet Based Test)
- IELTS (Academic): 7.0.
- PTE (Academic): 68
The enrolment is limited to the maximum of four (4) international students per year. Applicants are placed in a rank order on the basis of the following requirements in this order:
- language test result: a) the overall score, b) language area: writing
- earlier academic study success: a) the grade of the main subject: English, b) other subjects
- motivation letter.
The University of Eastern Finland holds the right to rank order and decide on the intake of students according to these three requirement categories. In case there are two or more evenly ranked applicants for the fourth place, the university can enroll extra students.
The university will make a ranked reserve list of those applicants that meet all admission requirements but who were not selected. If any of the successful candidates turns down their study place then the university will call upon applicants from the reserve list according to the afore-mentioned ranked order.
Tuition and scholarshipsThe programme has no tuition fees. Students are however expected to cover all their living costs in Finland. In order to be granted a residence permit, non-EU/EEA citizens are required to show that they have at least 6720€ per year or 560€ per month at their disposal. The University of Eastern Finland does not offer any financial support to its students.
Next application round: 1.12.2015-27.1.2016
For more information, please turn to email@example.com or check our website: https://www2.uef.fi/fi/filtdk/ma-english.
Last updated July 22, 2015