The International Hellenic University is Greece’s first state university, where programmes are taught exclusively in English.
It already attracts a strong international academic faculty and outstanding students from Southeast and other European and Black Sea countries.
As a state University, all degrees awarded are accredited by the Government and are recognized in the European Union and internationally.
The MA in Black Sea Studies provides specialised education in demanding areas of interest such as Archaeology, History, Ethnography, Historical Geography, Art, Religion, Mythology, Politics, Diplomacy and Economy. The aim is to enhance interreligious and inter-cultural relations between different societies of Southeastern Europe.
The programme is addressed to graduates in:
- Humanities, especially
- Art history
- Ethnography and Social AnthropologyPolitical Sciences
- International Relations
Our graduates will be able to work in:
- Educational and research institutes and academies all over the world dealing with the Black Sea region
- Archaeological services, especially in the Black Sea countries (and also in Greece), or foreign archaeological missions in those countries
- Museums, galleries and other places of collection, study and exhibition of works of art, especially from this region
- The Diplomatic Corps or other state services
- Businesses which operate or have interests in the Black Sea region
The Core Modules
• Historical geography and cartography of the Black Sea (ancient and medieval period)
• Historical geography of the Black Sea (modern and contemporary period)
The Elective Modules
Second semester (2 out of 5)
• Archaeology – Monumental topography of the Black Sea region
• Ancient history of the Black Sea region
• Medieval history of the Black Sea region
• Modern and contemporary history of the Black Sea countries
• Contemporary ethnographic issues of the Black Sea
Second semester (5 out of 10)
• Ancient art in the Black Sea region
• Medieval art in the Black Sea region
• Modern art and architecture in the Black Sea region
• Ancient religions and mythology of the Black Sea region
• Black Sea countries and the European Union
• Black Sea region and Asia
• Nation states and globalisation
• Examination of the contemporary economy in the Black Sea region
• Immigrations and minorities in SE Europe
• Interactions of cultures and nations in the Black Sea region
As a part of the MA programme, students work on a subject relating to their academic interests and stream specialisation. The Master's dissertation provides a good opportunity to apply theory and concepts learned in different courses to a Black Sea related issue or challenge. The Master's dissertation tests students’ ability both to apply a certain methodology and approach in the analysis of a given problem and to demonstrate reasonably original research or fieldwork.
A member of the academic faculty supervises students throughout their projects. The supervision is delivered through face-to-face meetings at the University and through the e-learning platform of the University.
Applying for the MA in Black Sea Studies
To be considered for the MA in Black Sea Studies at the IHU, candidates are required to have:
- a good university degree in a relevant subject from a recognised University
- proof of English competence (Proficiency or recently acquired IELTS or TOEFL)
- two academic references
A personal interview may be required.
Applications are open until all the available places are filled. Therefore you should apply as early as possible to ensure place availability. The courses start every October.
For more information please use the following contact details:
School of Humanities
T: +30 2310 807520
F: +30 2310 474520
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 5, 2016