MA in Textiles
The programme aims to provide students with a course and an environment that encourage individuality, enhance their skills, and invite them to challenge and be challenged by related issues whilst exploring the breadth and diversity of textiles. The demands of the curriculum require passion and commitment and a strong sense of personal responsibility for the students’ own learning and development.
By experimenting, students develop their personal expression and identity in their work. Constantly evolving technology, innovation, art, design and traditional craft skills co-habit and fuse in the subject of textiles, creating the need for a full and intensive two-year programme. Collaborative work is strongly encouraged across the College and students are positively influenced by the melting pot of the RCA culture.
MA Textiles students at the RCA employ traditional and innovative skills while exploring constantly evolving materials and technology. They create diverse solutions that span many disciplines and design applications, including fashion, interiors, automotive design and gallery installation.
The interface between the materials and the make creates a challenging and dynamic environment, frequently employing multidisciplinary and collaborative methods to express the breadth of textiles, through the contexts of 'Body' and 'Space'.
Personal research and an individual design philosophy are at the heart of the Textiles postgraduate programme. Students are required to apply to one of the four MA Textile specialisms of Print, Knit, Mixed Media and Weave.
Textiles at the RCA has a thriving research community with twelve research students supervised by staff who are international experts in their field. The programme also houses the interdisciplinary 'Materials for Living' Research Hub.
The programme offers:
- excellence of teaching by leading practitioners and one-to-one tutorials
- specialist technicians for all programme machinery and processes
- opportunities for collaborative and interdisciplinary work in the world's leading wholly postgraduate art and design institution
- a combination of set/industrial projects and self-directed study
- a vibrant staff and student research culture.
- world-leading industry collaborations, including; BlackBerry, Swarovski, Umbro, Airbus, Paul Smith, Crown, WGSN, Rowan, LG, Skopos, Marks and Spencer and Daks
- excellent graduate destinations include Stella McCartney, Toyota, Nokia, Thierry Mugler, Missoni, Burberry, Paul Smith Tom Ford and All Saints
- recent high-profile alumni including Orla Kiely, Alice Temperley, Donna Wilson, Timorous Beasties, Lisa Stickley and Wallace Sewell.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 22, 2015