MA in Innovation Design Engineering
The Innovation Design Engineering (IDE) programme is a leading-edge, creative product development course that involves experimentation, design, engineering and enterprise activities. In multidisciplinary teams or as individuals, participants work at the centre of complex, demanding projects with an emphasis on prototyping and proving propositions. The programme requires that a wide range of design skills and thinking are utilised (industrial design techniques, manufacturing, mechanical engineering, design research, user-centred design and sustainability, among others). It is external facing and encourages all to tackle important real-world issues involving advanced technical, design and social parameters. We believe that design is a verb not a noun.
The programme offers:
- a unique double Master's MA Royal College of Art/MSc Imperial College London (students are fully enrolled at both institutions)
- a vibrant creative studio space for all MA/MSc students and a new research studio, both situated at the RCA with a diverse and international mix of students
- teaching staff who are highly experienced practitioners and work professionally in their field
- multiple commercial connections (recent projects have included Ford, Coca Cola, Airbus, BBC, Unilever, Vodafone (Future agenda), LG, Guzzini)
- good links and involvement in enterprise and commercialisation teaching or support through Design London Fellowships and InnovationRCA incubator
- student bursary support through The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 and the James Dyson Foundation
- international exchanges, connections and student modules organised annually in different countries (recent visits include India, Japan, Thailand, China and Ghana)
- graduate destinations, alumni working at high level in businesses such as Apple, Nokia, Philips and self-started commercial enterprises including Takram, Bare Conductive and Omlet.
Candidates for all MA courses are assessed on their existing qualities as demonstrated in their work and in their interview, as well as on their potential to benefit from the programme and to achieve MA standards overall. The assessment will consider: creativity, imagination and innovation evident in the work; ability to articulate the intentions of the work; intellectual engagement in relevant areas; appropriate technical skills; overall interview performance, including oral use of English.
The Innovation Design Engineering MA/MSc programme accepts a multidisciplinary range of applicants – we want diversity of expertise, culture and experience. We are interested in engineers and technologists, we are looking for designers from all aspects of the subject area and we welcome applicants from other diverse fields such as business, social science, and the arts. In fact successful IDE applicants can come from many fields: anyone with outstanding skills in their current activities that has an excellent aptitude for innovation and team working and has a fundamental belief that design can make a direct contribution to the quality of life. Engineers, designers, scientists, technologist, artists, social scientists, business people, if you have intelligence, curiosity, passion and a drive to improve the world then IDE is interested in you.
IMPORTANT: IDE is a double Master's course run jointly with Imperial College London, and consequently applicants need to have a degree at 2:1 level or higher (or the equivalent). In exceptional circumstances applicants without this degree qualification will be considered (for example, excellent professional experience or outstanding creative or technical abilities).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 22, 2015