The MA in Education (Leadership and Management) is for experienced teachers, lecturers and educational managers and other professionals in all phases of education (primary, secondary, further and higher education). It is designed for those working in training and professional development to gain an award focused on leadership and management.
The course is concerned with the development of critical enquiry and reflection in the field of educational leadership and management, and the development of professional knowledge and expertise.
This course in detail
The MA course is based on the completion of a compulsory element, plus optional modules.
- Reflective Professional Development aims to develop your reflective practice and provide you with an opportunity for systematic review of your progress, helping you to explore and document the coherence and progression of your experience of the course.
- Educational Research will enable you to develop knowledge of a range of research approaches, methods and techniques and to consider ethics in educational research. You will have an opportunity to develop your research skills through preparatory work for the dissertation.
- The Dissertation will involve a piece of investigative research and will comprise approximately one third of your degree work. Your dissertation will focus on a research problem of interest to you. It need not be based in an educational setting and may be literature based, but should be relevant to educational concerns.
Compulsory core modules for the Leadership and Management pathway are:
- Leading and Managing People in Education brings together a range of themes and concerns in the management of staff in educational organisations. Drawing on national and international examples, it combines theoretical perspectives with practical concerns about staff management and development.
- Leading Change in Education builds on the experience of course members as observers of, and participants in, the management of change in the education sector. It combines a wide range of theories and research into organisational transformation in education, together with implications for practice.
Why choose this course?
- The modular structure enables you to design your course according to your particular areas of interest. The MA has a core of compulsory research-based modules to support your studies and to prepare you for the dissertation and two compulsory modules in Leadership and Management. In addition, you select modules from the optional module programme (see overview of choices).
- All students complete four compulsory modules, two optional modules, and a dissertation equivalent to three modules.
- The School of Education at Oxford Brookes is one of the largest schools of education in the UK, combining high quality teaching and significant research and consultancy activity in an outstanding location, with superb sporting, recreational and study facilities.
- You will be joining a university which is widely regarded as a major contributor to the improvement of education and learning, locally and nationally. The School of Education is a focal point for lively, informed debate on education through its seminar and lecture programmes.
- We work in close partnership with hundreds of schools and colleges and other organisations.
- Our 110-acre Harcourt Hill campus offers all the benefits of a complete academic community on one site, providing a rich and diverse intellectual and social environment
- You will be working with highly regarded academics who are at the forefront of their subjects. Drawing on our research-led teaching, our courses will advance your knowledge and develop your professional skills.
This MA course attracts students from a wide range of backgrounds and nationalities, normally graduates with a recognised teaching qualification, or other educational professional experience.
Applicants normally have:
- a good honours degree or pass degree
- QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) or other equivalent professional qualification
- relevant professional experience.
For more information about English language requirements, visas and preparation for International and EU students, please see our website:
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 10, 2016