MA in Contemporary Chinese Studies
This new degree is an exciting and unique opportunity for you to be part of a taught Masters programme which develops your knowledge and understanding of a rapidly transforming contemporary China. Designed for postgraduate students with little or no previous knowledge of China, this MA provides you with alternative pathways for applying a range of disciplinary perspectives to the study of Chinese business and society, politics and economics, sustainable development and the environment, media and popular culture, visual and performing arts, or modern Chinese history.
There is an excellent opportunity to study Mandarin language to a high standard of competence and to use what you have learned in a Chinese language and cultural setting.
You will have a chance to participate in an extended interdisciplinary field school, including visits to key cities and into the Chinese countryside, which will enrich your cultural and linguistic experience and allow you to explore a range of themes and issues relevant for understanding contemporary China. The degree prepares you for the growing demands of employers in various sectors for expertise on China as well as the opportunity to pursue further study for a PhD in Chinese studies.
Unique elements of the degree:
- Earn your degree from an English speaking University while studying in China
- A focus on acquiring knowledge and understanding of contemporary China
- Extended and in depth field work and dissertation research in China
- Interdisciplinary field school experience visiting key locations in China
- Opportunities for immersion in Chinese culture, society and language
This course requires a second class honours in the first division (2:1) or GPA of at least 3.2-3.4. For lower English levels, you may complete the course in 2 years.
Minimum English Language Requirement
- IELTS 6.5 with the writing band no less than 6.0 or
- TOEFL (paper based) 573 + TWE no less than 4.5 or
- TOEFL (computer based) 230 + TWE no less than 4.5
- TOEFL (IBT) 88 (no less than 19 in any element)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 16, 2015