The study programme is aimed to prepare specialists in signal processing including processing and analysis of digital images and satellite data with broad knowledge in higher mathematics, fundamentals in natural and engineering sciences, to prepare students for independent research work as well as to provide students with profound knowledge of mathematic modelling, enabling them to engage in professional activities within the changing labour market.
Studies are organised not only in the form of lectures, there is used also study form of seminars, practical classes, laboratory work, training projects, discussions, and analysis of literature. An important role in the realization of study process has different training projects which are worked out in several study courses. During the courses that are closely connected with the use of computer system (computer graphics, digital image processors, etc.) practical classes take place in computer classrooms. The use of the computer projector facilitates the explanation of important or hardly understandable aspects thus students comprehend and further analyse the themes more easily.
Main courses offered broaden students’ knowledge of Higher Mathematics, Physics Sciences, and methods of Applied Mathematics, as well as provide the basic knowledge in methods of computerised processing of digital images:
- theoretical courses of the field contain courses in mathematical analysis, equations of mathematical physics, calculations of variations, numerical methods in algebra and analysis, astronomy, geophysics etc.
- actual problems of the field contain basic courses in methods of digital image processing, including calibration, enhancement, interpretation and classification of digital images, as well as methods of digital image compression using wavelets and fractal analysis.
Student in this programme aquire the following skills and knowledge:
- is able to formulate independently and to analyse critically complicated scientific and professional problems;
- is able to motivate decisions and if necessary carry out additional analysis;
- is able to integrate knowledge of different fields;
- is able to contribute to creation of new knowledge, to the development of research methods or methods of professional activities;
- is able to show understanding and ethical responsibility for the influence of the scientific results or professional activities on the environment and society;
- is able to explain contentionally and discuss on complicated or systemic aspects of the field of computer sciences with both the specialists and non-specialists;
- is able to work independently, promote the improvement and specialisation of one’s own competences in order to adapt to the professional activities within the changing labour market;
The graduates of this programme are usually employed in SIA ‘Hanza Electronic’ Ventspils Electronics Factory, Ventspils University College Engineering Institute ‘Ventspils International radio Astronomy Centre’, Ventspils High Technology Park, and Ventspils Digital Centre. Together with administration and representatives of these institutions there are discussed the issues related to study process, evaluated the levels of knowledge and skills of the graduates and students. Students and graduates who want to establish their own enterprise the help is provided by Ventspils Business Incubator which was established in 2005 on the basis of Ventspils University College. The main task for Business Incubator is to create successful new enterprises that after leaving the incubator were financially and economically independent, as well as promote comercialization of technologies. Several graduates from the VeUC Master’s Degree Study Programme in Computer science have used this possibility and are working in the Business Incubator enterprises.