More information: www.anglia.ac.uk/tesol
The MA in TESOL and Materials Development has been developed to train local, national and international leaders in language pedagogy, curriculum design and materials writing, all of which are rapidly expanding subfields of applied linguistics. Since English became a lingua franca, the demand for teachers and TESOL-oriented materials writers has been greater than ever before. For this reason, this course aims to prepare professionals with a solid foundation in various aspects of applied linguistics so that they can later meet the diverse needs of language learners from different ethnic, educational and socio-economic backgrounds.
Throughout this course you will:
- discuss and critically evaluate relevant concepts, theories, principles and research findings in language teaching, materials development and second language acquisition
- reflect upon current debates in language education and second language acquisition and apply them to the creative process of designing materials for traditional and virtual learning environments
- design, implement and evaluate relevant, intellectually challenging, inclusive, participatory learning experiences in a range of literary, audio and visual media
- reflect critically on professional practice and share knowledge and experience with other colleagues in the field
- identify and efficiently employ appropriate methods for gathering, analysing and evaluating information
- engage in the process of creative writing of original materials for different purposes, teaching contexts and modes of delivery
- discuss modern language pedagogies and instructional materials with experts in the field who represent both educational institutions and publishing houses (e.g. Cambridge Assessment, Materials Development Association, Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, Express Publishing)
- have an opportunity to trial your materials in the Anglia Ruskin University Language Services Unit.
As a result of completing this course, you will be in a position to supply global publishers with high quality materials for local English as a Foreign Language (EFL) markets, such as China, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Nigeria, Mexico, as well as produce materials for the e-learning market within the worldwide education and training industry.
On completion of this course, you can enter, or accelerate your career, in a range of professions at national and international level. Future careers may include: English as a foreign/second language teaching, materials writing, language consultancy, language curriculum design, language testing, teacher training and EFL/ESL publishing.
Links with industry/Professional recognition
The lecturers who teach on the MA in TESOL and Materials Development course systematically collaborate with well-known publishers. Some of them are: Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, Express Publishing, Lincom Europa and The Open University Press.
Anglia Ruskin's MA in TESOL and Materials Development is aimed primarily at home and international teachers, teacher trainers, (applied) linguists with teaching experience, English language teaching (ELT) consultants and materials writers who hold:
- a good honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in Languages, Linguistics, English or Education, plus 300 hours' experience in language teaching.
- a good honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in other subjects with CELTA/DELTA (or equivalent) certificates, plus 500 hours' experience in language teaching.
For students whose first language is not English, the level of English achieved must be at least 6.5 on the IELTS scale, or equivalent, with no individual score below 6.0.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 15, 2016