The MA in Political Sociology combines sociology and political science to address key issues of social and political change in modern societies. It examines the interaction and interdependence among social and political institutions, processes and action, especially collective action, and is distinctive in its focus on social and political movements, protest, and the less conventional and institutionalised forms of political action and participation, environmental politics and globalisation.
Depending upon your choice of option modules, the programme will also give you:
- An understanding of the theoretical problems of political sociological inquiry and their relationship to research practices
- Knowledge of the methodological procedures used to investigate a wide range of practical and substantive issues
- Skills in practical research-related tasks
- Awareness of the range of secondary data available and the ability to evaluate its utility for your research
- The opportunity to develop transferable employment-related skills through group work, presentations and the use of information technologies
- An enhanced capacity to undertake independent research.
The programme is also designed to enhance your professional development. We place considerable emphasis on the socialisation of graduate students into a research community. This is reflected in our pedagogical approaches to teaching and learning. There is less didactic teaching and more emphasis on structured seminars with greater participation from students. Class sizes are generally much smaller than at undergraduate level and you will be taught by established members of the academic staff, many of whom are internationally recognized leaders in their particular fields of inquiry. This facilitates close working relationships between staff and students. You will also be encouraged to participate in the staff/graduate seminar which allows MA and research students the opportunity to become more fully involved in a professional research culture, and to meet visiting speakers from many universities in Britain and beyond.
This school offers programs in: