The strengths of Leiden University’s Master’s programme in North American Studies lie particularly in African-American history and literature, U.S. political history and foreign policy, immigrant and ethnic studies in the U.S., and (public) memory and memorialization (for example of 9/11). Although some attention is paid to Canada and Mexico in a number of courses, the main focus in this program is on the United States.
3 reasons to choose North American Studies at Leiden University
- Explore major issues in the history, literature and culture of US, as well as undertaking in-depth studies of specific historical and literary topics.
- Study at a leading international centre of research in American Studies,
- Apply the integrated approach to North American Studies and discover connections between historical events and cultural and literary developments.
Master's students who graduate in American Studies will be able to:
- critically analyse American historical and literary texts, and place them in a cultural and historical context;
- conduct independent multidisciplinary research in the field of American Studies (including Canada), thereby showing the ability to comprehend and apply relevant theoretical insights and methodological approaches;
- apply knowledge of North American history, literature and culture, to contemporary social, political, literary and cultural developments.
EU/EEA, Dutch, Swiss or Surinamese: around €1,984.
Other: around €16,400.
If you would like to know more, please get in touch or visit the programme introduction page on our website: http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/north-american-studies/en/introduction.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 19, 2016