The introduction of digital and electronic technologies has generated profound cultural transformations in the organisation of the media landscape. New media, such as the internet, CDs, and DVDs, provide new possibilities for information distribution, education, communication, marketing and amusement. If you’re fascinated by anything and everything to do with digital media and the internet, look no further.
The new technologies have transformed the way we consume information and entertainment, as interactivity changes the way we are involved with a story line or a game, and blurs the line between making and enjoying music. The internet has had a major effect on our engagement with politics and with culture. At the same time, older media such as books, radio, television and film are still present and are evolving in complex interrelations with the newer media.
The interdisciplinary and comparative framework of the master's programme in Media Culture combines theoretical reflection on these developments with practical research and media skills. It will provide you with the academic training to investigate ongoing transformations in media culture and the skills to participate in these innovations.
This is a one-year programme taught in English.
Media Culture at Maastricht University…
- is a one-year interdisciplinary Master of Arts programme
- is a selective master's programme
- is taught in English
- addresses the interrelations between cultural transformations in the media landscape and technological developments
- utilises a combination of methodologies including Problem-Based Learning
- has a majority of international students, representing on average 14 different nationalities
- is closely connected with innovative academic research projects on contemporary media culture
- provides problem- and practice-oriented training in research methodologies and media skills
If you would like to come to Maastricht earlier in the summer in order to settle in, you might think about taking a language course or attending the Maastricht summer school for 2, 4 or 6 weeks. Contact us for more information.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 20, 2016