The one-year Master’s in Linguistics at Leiden University offers a great diversity of topics in linguistics and language studies. You can focus your studies on theoretical or historical linguistics, language, communication or translation, and choose from the widest selection of languages offered by any institution in the Netherlands and the surrounding region. The programme is highly flexible which gives you the freedom to tailor it on the basis of your specific interests in linguistics.
- Chinese Linguistics
- Comparative Indo-European Linguistics
- English Language and Linguistics
- French Language and Linguistics
- German Language and Linguistics
- Italian Language and Linguistics
- Language and Communication
- Language Diversity of Africa, Asia and Native America
- Theoretical Linguistics and Cognition
- Translation in Theory and Practice (Dutch/English)
6 reasons to choose Linguistics at Leiden
- The Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) is an institute with a long-standing international reputation for excellence. Learn from researchers engaging in internationally recognised state-of-the-art linguistics research.
- Choose from the largest selection of languages (varying from Chinese to German, from Papuan to Slavic languages, and many more) taught and studied at any institution in the Netherlands or the surrounding region.
- Learn in small groups, where you benefit from greater individual guidance and support.
- Examine issues from a broad range of perspectives and diverse theoretical approaches including descriptive, experimental, theoretical and applied.
- Gain expertise that is both theoretical and practice-based such as skills in translation or text analysis from a communications standpoint.
- Enjoy a high level of flexibility and freedom in organising your programme to reflect your own interests in linguistics.
Your future career
During the Master’s in Linguistics you will gain a wide range of skills for your future career. Based on their specialisations, our students graduate with solid knowledge of linguistic theory and develop academic and research skills ranging from data collection, analysis and reporting to applied language skills such as text analysis, translation and editing.
The Master’s in Linguistics will provide you with a good basis for a further career in research involving language documentation and description, theoretical or experimental language research, applied linguistics work in communications, translation or language teaching. Furthermore, the knowledge of different languages may serve as a good starting point for an international career. The option to do an internship during your master’s studies gives you the opportunity to start exploring your career choices and interests before you graduate.
EU/EEA, Dutch (including Netherlands Antilles), Swiss or Surinamese: around €1,984.
Other: around €16,400.
If you would like to know more, perhaps regarding our specialisations, please get in touch or visit the programme introduction page on our website: http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/linguistics/en/introduction.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 5, 2016