The MA Methods of Social Research provides essential training for those who wish to go on to employment involving the use of social research or to further academic research in a social science discipline. It considers and evaluates a variety of different approaches to social science research, presented in a multi-disciplinary context and at an advanced level. The focus of the programme is on developing practical skills in analysis and presentation of social research and an understanding of the philosophical, theoretical and ethical issues surrounding research Participants will be introduced to debates about the relationship between theory and research and between research and policy/practice.
It aims to:
- Provide essential training for those who will go on to employment involving the use of social research or to further research in the social sciences.
- Introduce students to a variety of different approaches to social science research, presented in a multi-disciplinary context and at an advanced level
- Cover the principles of research design and strategy, including formulating research questions or hypotheses and translating these into practicable research designs
- Make students aware of the range of secondary data available and equip them to evaluate its utility for their research
- Introduce students to the philosophical, theoretical and ethical issues surrounding research and to debates about the relationship between theory and research, about problems of evidence and inference, and about the limits to objectivity
- Develop skills in the main statistical techniques for quantitative data analysis, including the use of SPSS
- Develop skills in writing, in the preparation of a research proposal, in the presentation of research results and in verbal communication
- Help students to prepare their research results for wider dissemination, in the form of seminar papers, conference presentations, reports and publications, in a form suitable for a range of different audiences, including academics, policy makers, professionals, service users and the general public
- We especially encourage students who are planning for a Ph.D. in the field of social sciences to take up this programme to prepare their Ph.D. proposals.
This school offers programs in: