About the Course
Do you want to report the news from the most interesting and important parts of the world? Are you committed to a career in journalism but need the professional skills?
From the moment you start our International Journalism MA course you will learn to deliver high quality video, audio, online and print journalism.
The International Journalism MA is designed to provide our students with digital multiplatform journalism skills and advanced understanding of the context of journalism in the fast changing world of news media. This is a challenging, employment orientated course in a major London university focussed on international reporting.
We believe the sooner you get practical experience of a real journalism workplace the sooner you will be ready to join the industry. All our students find placements in the news industry while they are with us. The course features a synthesis of practical and theoretical skills contextualising different forms of journalistic practice within a framework of technological, political and cultural change.
If you want to get a sense of what we do please visit our public facing website Journalism@Brunel which includes examples of student work, staff publications, our guest speaker roster and our discussions over topical journalism issues.
As a research university we are able to offer small course groups so we provide a bespoke service where we know and advise each student individually in their skills and journalism career. We choose students from all over the world.
(For UK and EU applicants who specifically want to start in the UK news industry we recommend our MA Journalism course - UK Industry Accredited).
This course is suitable for:
- A recent or mature graduate from a wide range of degree disciplines wanting a career in journalism or to develop a research interest in international news media.
- A mature student without a first degree, but with some relevant professional experience. We consider each individual on their merits.
See 'Eight Reasons to take the MA International Journalism'.
- You will acquire the skills and knowledge to immediately enter the journalism industry in an international context, and will be equipped to undertake further postgraduate level research.
- You will gain comprehensive and sophisticated understanding of the advanced academic study of international journalism, and the techniques and principles applied in practice.
- You will be provided with the relevant expertise and learning environment to support your critical and practical engagement with issues at the heart of analysing and practising international journalism.
- Journalism@Brunel employment rates are excellent, with graduates working for news organisations like BBC World Service, Norway’s DTK TV News, Italy’s Il Mattino and London’s China Weekly.
The International Journalism MA has the following signature characteristics:
- multi-skilling in journalism technology
- an emphasis on writing for global journalism
- specialist activity for informed career choice
- journalism practice contextualised within a framework of technological, legal, political and broader cultural change
- work placement, with experience of real-world journalism, supported by strong Brunel/industry links
- international news agenda where students from all over the globe share their journalism and cultural experiences.
8 Reasons to study International Journalism MA
You will be a multi-platform journalist
From the moment you start our course you will learn to deliver high quality video, audio, online and print journalism in our fantastic, 24-hour, state-of-the-art digital newsroom and studios. You will develop the mind-set to find lots of ways to report and present a story or feature to deadline using the very latest techniques. We push you hard and help you develop your personal, professional and intellectual skills. Our course is transformative.
You will be highly employable
Editors come to us when recruiting journalists. Brunel Journalists are now working as staff in top newsrooms across the globe, including the BBC, Norway’s NDK, The Guardian, The Independent, news agencies, glossy consumer magazines, business-to-business journals, websites, local and regional press and broadcasting. Several are now award winning journalists.
You will receive individual attention
As a research university our course groups are small and we can provide individual tutoring. All full-time lecturers are available at least four hours per week for personal consultation on academic issues. A structure of senior tutor and year tutors provides students with an easily accessible system for addressing queries about the programme. Each student has access to top journalists for career guidance.
We have top weekly guest speakers
Journalism@Brunel features an impressive record of top level guest speakers from the news industry. This year we have speakers from Cosmopolitan, the Guardian, the Independent, BBC, Sky, Daily Express, C4 News and more.
Great work placements
Brunel journalists land all the best placements, gain enviable referees and see their bylines in leading publications. We have one of the best university Professional Development Centres in the UK who coach our students not only in CV and application writing but also help them develop the necessary skills to exceed at job interviews. We have great contacts with local media including Trinity Mirror newspapers which provides for very easy work experience.
You are taught by top industry names
Our staff team and visiting lecturers comprise some of the biggest names in the business, such as leading investigative journalist Paul Lashmar (World in Action, The Observer, The Independent), Jacquie Hughes (Granada, BBC) and many more. You get the very best expertise preparing you for your career.
London-based campus environment
Brunel’s campus is a lively and attractive environment that buzzes with creativity and diversity, and is within easy reach of Central London. There is always something going on and a wide variety of amenities ranging from the bars and cafés to the computing clusters and the Library.
Journalism@Brunel visits to some of London’s major news organisations. Recent visits have included Sky News, Bloomberg and The Guardian.
There’s great student media on site
Whether you fancy going on air, online or in print, you can do it here at Brunel. There’s student radio, a student newspaper and a host of online opportunities at your fingertips to enhance your CV and boost your employability. You will also have the opportunity to compete in national student media awards.
But it’s not all hard work…
There are industry trips, days out, screenings, quizzes, networking events to build your contacts, confidence and just to have fun.
Graduates from the International Journalism MA will be able to consider future careers as:
- Reporters for international news agencies
- War and foreign correspondents
- Online journalists
- Magazine journalists
- Investigative journalists
- Content producers for mobile platforms
- Communication officer in non-government and private sector organisations
- Further research in academia (e.g. MPhil/PhD).
The programme will appeal to a broad range of candidates with an interest in journalism across all sectors, including print journalism, online journalism, radio journalism, TV journalism and especially in areas of convergence.
Our particular appeal will be to students looking for advanced skills for global journalism. Our skill base will enable you to be an effective journalist in any international setting.
The programme will also cater for students hoping to enter other sectors as media skills play a major part in public relations, marketing, advertising plus non-governmental organisations and the public sector.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 6, 2016