You will build upon a foundation of developed theoretical, conceptual and study skills from both intellectual and practitioner’s perspectives and be given the opportunity to explore the nature and context of contemporary games.
This MA equips future games design and art professionals with the knowledge and skills to lead forthcoming games developments and start new games businesses on behalf of the games development and related industries, its management and production processes.
The MA aims to prepare graduates for work in fields and practices, including games art, games design and the creative industries more broadly.
Significant features of this MA are:
- The involvement of visiting lecturers and workshops from leading academics and professionals in Game Design and Art on topics such as Business Planning, Creative Entrepreneurship and Managing a Web Presence
- Research activities, staff and seminars organized by the Games Design Hub and The Winchester Centre for Global Futures in Art Design & Media.
- An interdisciplinary focus with staff knowledge in games studio practices, art and visual prototyping with input from the world-renowned University of Southampton School of Computing in regard to gamification.
- Studio based, but also includes a range of classes and practical workshops, with taught skills concerning setting up art production and high-tech iterative design.
- The Art School context provides an excellent opportunity for students to interact with other studio-based pathways such as Communication Design.
- High relevancy for the job marker in the burgeoning games art and designs sector, including visual research and roles related to designing games for particular sectors.