Master in Foreign Language of Professional Communication and Specialised Translation
The programme "Foreign Language of Professional Communication and Specialised Translation" is designed to provide students with theoretical and practical knowledge and skills, which can be used for communication in professional settings, translation and interpreting, as well as for teachers and professionals in Economics, Management and Business.
The programme is a great opportunity for students to acquire useful skills of oral and written communication in business and professional environment, including computer-based translation of business documents, economic and financial texts full of professional terms.
The programme includes a work placement in translation for Russian and foreign companies.
The programme is based on the state-of-the-art methodology of ESP, as well as Russian and foreign theories of translation used in training specialists of top-qualification.
The Programme comprises general theoretical and professional disciplines, which will equip students with knowledge needed both for practical work and research. These subjects are to assist students' insight into professional issues but also build their analytical, consulting, scientific and pedagogical skills. The curriculum also includes seminars, workshops, panel discussions, master classes, participation in Russian and international scientific and practical conferences. Students enrolled in the programme can take an opportunity to join a dual diploma scheme (PFUR and London Metropolitan University), or/and have a training course abroad (Great Britain, Germany, Spain, China or France). Innovative activity is one of the priorities in MA Programme. So, the curriculum covers:
- specialised translation ( Economics, Finance, Business and Management) with English as the first foreign language, and French, German, Italian, Spain or Chinese as the second one according to the student's choice;
- computer-based translation with the use of SDL TRADOS , which enables translators to optimise the process due to Translation Memory technology and unified Termbase; theories of translation; and practice in translating and interpreting (consecutive and simultaneous translation).
Our students benefit from being taught by the best teachers, lecturers and professors of the Foreign Languages Department of PFUR Economics Faculty, visiting professors of the leading Russian universities (Lomonosov MSU, MSIFA) and specialists of language-service agencies.
The programme is aimed at:
- developing skills in translating professional texts;
- training specialists in specialised translation (Economics, Management, Business)
- mastering oral or written communication with professionals in two foreign languages;
- fostering skills in unassisted specialised translation from Russian into a foreign language and vice versa.
The programme equips students with fundamental knowledge of relevant fields of science and applied professional skills, which contribute to our students' career enhancement. Masters of Linguistics are primarily employed in teaching wide range of linguistic, philosophical and culturological disciplines in educational institutions; or they also can work as translators, researchers, employees in media and other Russian and international companies.
The admission decisions are made on the basis of professional interviews and tests. We make our admission decision on a competitive basis. The programme is meant not only for linguistics but also for other speciality diploma holders (bachelor's, master's or specialist's degrees).
English language level – at least IELTS – 6,0
TOEFLiBT – 79;
August 15, 2013
3000 US$ / 2300 €
Last updated April 15, 2016