The educational sector in Lebanon has undergone major changes since the inception of the 1997 curriculum. These changes have raised the debate about the purpose and quality of education, overhauled the delivery modes and assessment practices in the field, and created new positions in educational settings (school counselors, special educators, technology teachers, etc.). LAU’s master’s degree program aims to fulfill the need for qualified professionals that these changes have brought about.
The master’s degree program is for students who wish to study a particular field in education, acquire a general theoretical background for past and future field experiences, or develop new skills for use in professional work in the field of education.
The program was designed for educators who would like to remain on the cutting edge of information, technology, and policies affecting the field of education. Some educators merely want to update their teaching and counseling strategies, research skills, or management techniques needed to play a unique role as teachers, counselors, special educators, administrators, and material developers in leading educational institutions in Lebanon and the Arab world.
The M.A. program in Education provides knowledge, practical training, and continuous updating on technological developments, as well as challenging opportunities, for those interested in working in school settings, educational institutions, community centers, educational research, and development.
The program’s various specialty areas provide students with the opportunity to become qualified subject coordinators, supervisors, officers for teacher professional development, curriculum specialists, school administrators, or school counselors.
As a result of their work in the program, students will be able to:
- Identify major political, social, psychological, and philosophical foundations of education and curricula.
- Recognize, compare, and contrast, major instructional theories and approaches.
- Evaluate/develop curricula, and curriculum materials, for specific content, or for special groups of students.
- Use technology efficiently in performing instructional, and educational, tasks and promote its informed use.
- Set and implement plans for educational professional development.
- Design, conduct, and evaluate, educational research.
- Reflect on research results, and evaluate their implications on educational practices.
This school offers programs in: