Dance at Bath Spa University is known for its work in both live and screen-based performance practice. The masters programme (new for 2013) is ideal for those interested in the interface of contemporary dance, site, and digital media. The course is aimed at those with a specialist interest in screen-based dance practice and/or interdisciplinary work where the texts of dance and one or more other media intersect to create new work. If you are interested in spending a year (or 2 years part-time) in a supportive and highly creative environment to explore and develop your skills as a dance artist, to work creatively with other artists, and to learn the entrepreneurial skills needed to succeed in what is a challenging and changing workplace, this may be the course for you.
Studying for your MA in Dance will mean that you will be with us for one full year, or two if you choose to study part time. As a full time student you will take two 30 credit modules in term one, two 30 credit modules in term 2, and one 60 credit module (your final project) in term 3. As a part time student you will take 2 modules in your first year and three in your second, the last of which is your final project.
Where practical, the taught elements of the course will be undertaken in short intensive blocks and, where appropriate, tutoring may be done online to create flexibility and to help those who may not wish to move to the area for the full duration of the course.
Your work will be assessed through practical project essays, portfolios and seminar presentations. In practical projects, assessment may focus on your creative process, or on the final product. All work is assessed against a generic criteria so you can compare your achievements against your previous work.
- A dance-based first degree (2:2 or above) or a relevant professional qualification/experience equivalent.
- An application statement.
- A sample of work on video, accompanied by a short, 500 words (maximum), explanation/contextualisation of the work.
- An on-line interview (Skype or similar)
English language requirements:
- If your first language is not English you should have an English language qualification to the appropriate standard, for example, IELTS 6.5, TOEFL ibt 90, Pearson PTE Academic 67 or another recognised qualification.
- To help reach the required English language standard you may be able to study on Bath Spa University’s pre-sessional English language course before your begin your degree.
2014/15 intake and fees:
The next intake is September and the duration is one year.
For UK/EU students, the tuition fee for 2014/15 is £6,000.
For international students, the fee for 2014/15 is £10,905.
This school offers programs in: