The MA in Art, Literature and Society addresses contemporary debates in literature, art, religion, philosophy, and culture. The direction you take depends on your prior studies and your passions. The critique of nationalism in recent German literature? The humanities in academia? Architecture and politics? Fascism and modernism? Darwinian aesthetics? Are we our brain? The role of art in the future of democracy? The key term here is interdisciplinarity: you learn to approach debates not as a philosopher, a political scientist or columnist, a journalist, or as a historian, but rather from a broad spectrum of viewpoints in a programme that remains unique in the Netherlands.
Graduates of this programme will have gained:
- Broad insight into topical issues of national and international importance
- Experience engaging in impassioned debates and tackle a range of contemporary controversies
- The ability to infuse their academic practice with an element of personality
Art, Literature and Society at Maastricht University…
- is a one-year international and interdisciplinary Master of Arts programme
- utilises a combination of methodologies including Problem-Based Learning
- can be followed in English or in Dutch
- has majority of international students, representing on average 7 different nationalities
- is excellent preparation for a successful PhD programme
- looks at the public roles of the professionals who are engaged in research, management, criticism, and debate in these areas
- offers you the choice of spending the second semester working abroad on an internship or project.
If you would like to come to Maastricht earlier in the summer in order to settle in, you might think about taking a language course or attending the Maastricht summer school for 2, 4 or 6 weeks.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 20, 2016