The aim of this master program is to educate you to become an engineer and scientist with a firm solid knowledge in photonics and the ability to apply theory into design, realisation and management of photonic systems for a broad range of application domains such as telecom and datacom, display and camera industry, solar energy, biotechnology, medical instrumentation, (bio)sensing applications, laser material processing, etc.
The program provides an in-depth education in photonics, with a focus on both the fundamental science and the engineering of light-based phenomena and systems.
Our photonics graduates move into PhD positions in top level research groups all around the world or into industry.
- teaches students all the core photonics courses
- offers advanced and specialized photonics courses
- has a strengthened focus on:
- offers the opportunity to broaden knowledge and skills in a secondary engineering discipline, such as ICT, biosciences, physics and chemistry of materials, industrial management etc.
includes a master thesis project in a research lab
- has an optional internal mobility component in year 1 and a mandatory external European mobility component in year two, to be realised by choosing one of the four mobility tracks
- Students graduating from this programme receive a joint UGent-VUB Master of Science degree in Photonics.
- Offers advanced and specialized photonics courses
- Has a strengthened focus on:
- Offers the opportunity to broaden knowledge and skills in a secondary engineering discipline, such as ICT, biosciences, physics and chemistry of materials, industrial management etc.
- Includes a master thesis project in a research lab - Has an optional internal mobility component in year 1 and a mandatory external European mobility (=study abroad in another European country) component in year two, to be realised by choosing one of the four mobility tracks
Each year is concluded by a Summer School whereby first and second year students meet, do projects, attend lectures of world-renownded speakers in the field of photonics.
Furthermore, during the summer break after year 1, students can do an academic or industrial internship in a photonics company or reserach institute.
COURSE CONTENT-Teaches students all the core photonics courses
More details about the programme's curriculum can be found here
A bachelor's degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution (minimum 3 years full time study or 180 ECTS credits) in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, Electronics, Physics, Materials Science or a related discipline. Students in their last year of such a bachelor programme will also be considered.
Additionally, in order to be admitted, you need to be proficient in English.For foreign students, the following shall be accepted as proof:
- TOEFL-TEST, taken as recently as within the last two years, showing a score of at least 570 (paper-based) or 87 (internet-based)
- an original "test report from" (TRF) from IELTS, issued as recently as within the last two years, with a minimum overall band score of 6.0
- Cambridge-ESOL: First certificate in English (FCE)
- ave a diploma of secondary education awarded by an (recognised) institution in the Flemish Community
- Have a diploma of higher education awarded by an (recognised) institution of higher education in the Flemish Community
- Have successfully completed a minimum of 1 year (60 credits), be it secondary or higher education, where the medium of instruction was English (an official certificate must be submitted)
HOW TO APPLY
In order to apply you have to fill in the online application form (button below).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 28, 2016