EMScom Executive Master of Science in Communications Management
As a global leader in its field, the Executive Master of Science in Communications Management (EMScom) prepares professionals in developing new perspectives in key management areas, including management of stakeholder relationships, public relations, reputation management, and corporate identity on a strategic level - all with the ultimate goal of enabling communicators to go beyond simply communication and to contribute to their organization’s corporate strategy.
Based in Lugano, the EMScom is an intensive part-time program with eight residential sessions spread across twenty months. To reinforce degree candidates’ international perspective on management and communication, USI Università della Svizzera italiana cooperates with two renowned business schools: Singapore Management University (SMU) and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Anderson School of Management.
Executive students have the unique opportunity to meet and study side by side with communication executives from all over Asia during a one-week residential session in Singapore, which is run together with the partner program in SMU Singapore Management University. A second two-week session at the UCLA Anderson School of Management together with their Asian colleagues further complements and enhances the global perspective.
Learning outcomes: communication as an essential strategic tool
The EMScom trains communication professionals to perform in an integrated environment where communication is an essential strategic tool. Upon completion of the program, EMScom graduates will be ready to take responsibility for all facets of communications management. They will have learned to:
- understand the strategic and operational challenges of an organization and how they are linked to communication
- develop communication strategies that address the complexity of a global environment
- analyse the nature and dynamics of internal and external stakeholders
- manage comply communications tasks - ranging from brand management and corporate culture to crisis communications and public affairs
- develop and coordinate these tasks as integrated elements of corporate and marketing communications
- monitor the communications environment with reliable research methods
- generate data and insights as a basis for making strategic recommendations.
A curriculum embedding communication in management
The EMScom links the latest academic research with best business practices to deliver a balanced mix of academic and practical teaching. Unlike most communication programs, the curriculum of the EMScom embeds communication within a managerial setting. This not only creates a well-rounded perspective, but also ensures that the corporate communicator is well-equipped with the necessary tools to become a credible voice at the CEO’s table.
Furthermore, the program fosters an enhanced learning environment by encouraging participants to share their professional experiences. Teaching methods include lectures, case studies, guest speakers, extensive group work, tutorials, and a capstone consulting project.
The total workload amounts to 1800 hours, consisting of 600 lectures as well as 720 hours of individual work preparing for seminars, studying for and taking tests, and 480 hours dedicated to the capstone consulting project. The program corresponds to 60 credits in the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), representing the equivalent of a full year of academic study.
Admissions and degree
To be admitted to the EMScom, candidates need:
• a master’s or a bachelor’s degree (in special cases, applications based on professional qualifications may also be considered)
• a minimum of five years of relevant work experience in communication, advertising, or marketing
• leadership capability or potential.
The application deadline for EMScom (starting in March 2013) is January 31. As the program operates on a rolling admission policy, candidates are advised to start the application process as early as possible to secure their place.
The total fee for the Executive Master of Science in Communications Management is CHF 52,000. The fee includes:
• all tuition fees
• books and lecture materials
• all test fees
• unlimited access to the online data basis
• luncheon sessions with guest speakers
• coffee breaks
• social evening activities
• alumni membership during the program
The University also offers a subsidized accommodation package comprising a total of 72 hotel nights in Lugano, Singapore and Los Angeles. The package is optional and costs CHF 6,000 (the price includes breakfast, taxes and internet access).
This school offers programs in: