In cooperation with Maastricht University
The Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics and Management gives first-class students the opportunity to benefit from the outstanding expertise of two top-ranking universities. Students of the programme benefit from the interdisciplinary approach and the participation of three faculties, the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences and the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Cologne and the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences of Maastricht University.
Students study at each university for one year and are awarded two master’s degrees, a Master of Science in Health Economics from the University of Cologne and a Master of Science in Healthcare Policy, Innovation and Management from Maastricht University. The Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics and Management focuses on how to approach current and future healthcare challenges by innovation.
The international master’s programme prepares students for high-level management positions in the public and private health care sector. Students develop an interdisciplinary understanding of management, economics and medicine in the health care sector. On completion of this programme, graduates will be able to apply economic concepts to medical questions and actively address the challenges of today’s complex and rapidly changing healthcare sector with innovative approaches. With a German and Dutch master’s degree, graduates will have excellent employment opportunities on the European and international job market.
Please check our website for more information on the programme and on the application process.
- Programme duration: 4 semesters, full-time
- Programme start: Beginning of October in Cologne
- Partner university: The Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences is one of the six faculties of Maastricht University. Its learning methods are based on the principle of Problem-Based Learning (PBL). The Faculty has a strong international orientation, evidenced by its international student body as well as its research. It has an excellent location in the centre of Maastricht.
- Degrees awarded: Master of Science in Health Economics by the University of Cologne and Master of Science in Healthcare Policy, Innovation and Management by Maastricht University
- Language: English
- Fees: Students pay a semester contribution at the University of Cologne for the duration of their studies (approx. €260 per term including a student travel card which is valid on all public transport in North Rhine-Westphalia). In addition, students have to pay tuition fees at Maastricht University during their second year (approx. €1,980 for EU applicants; for more details on the tuition fee, please see the website of Maastricht University
The Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics gives first-class students the opportunity to pursue two master’s degrees from two renowned universities during a two-year programme. The programme focuses on innovation in the healthcare sector and on current and future healthcare challenges. It is directed at students that want to pursue a career in the healthcare sector with an academic interest in innovation at multiple levels: individuals, groups and on an organisational level as well as regional, national and international. Students gain an in-depth understanding of health economics and innovation in health care.
Students selected for the Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics complete their first year at the University of Cologne and their second year at Maastricht University. Students follow a study path that is integrated into the regular course offer of both universities.
The programme is taught in English. It is based on the mutual recognition of credit points and includes a joint master’s thesis which is supervised by professors at both universities. The credit point transfer is explained in the figure below.
After successful completion of the programme, students are awarded two degrees: a Master of Science in Healthcare Policy, Innovation and Management by Maastricht University and a Master of Science in Health Economics by the University of Cologne.
The application period for the Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics and Management runs from early April to 15 May. Applications must be submitted online via the application portal. Once the application portal has opened, the link will be published on this website.
In addition, applicants who have not obtained their bachelor’s degree in Germany or at Maastricht University must apply online via uni-assist and by post until 1 May. When applying via uni-assist, please select the programme ‘MSc in Health Economics’ at the University of Cologne.
- An excellent bachelor’s degree in the field of Health Economics, Economics, Business Administration or Management studies (a minimum of 60 ECTS in these fields) with strong proficiency in Health Economics and Medicine
- Bachelor final grade equivalent to at least 2.7 (German grading system)
- English at level C1 (CEFR) or equivalent (TOEFL min. ibt 100; IELTS min. 7.0; Cambridge CAE (B) or CPE (C))
- Very good intercultural and social skills
- Relevant practical experience is desirable
- DMP application form
- CV in English
- Letter of motivation in English explaining the reasons for applying to the Double Master’s Programme (aprox. 500 words)
- Proof of sufficient language skills in English of at least C1 (CEFR) or equivalent (TOEFL min. ibt 100; IELTS min. 7.0; Cambridge CAE (B) or CPE (C)
- Copy of bachelor’s degree certificate, including all exams taken to date listing the grades received and the number of credit points per course
- Descriptions of all relevant courses taken during bachelor’s degree (e.g. extracts from the course catalogue)
- If applicable, written confirmation of studies abroad which may have already been completed. In case any of the courses completed abroad have been credited towards the bachelor’s degree of the home university, this written document must contain an official record of the courses taken and the grades received. Please also attach a description of the modules taken abroad.
All documents must be provided in English or German. Documents in any other language must have an authorised translation into English or German attached. We may need to ask for further documentation at a later stage of the application process.
- For applicants with a German bachelor's degree or a bachelor's degree from Maastricht University: 15 May 2017
- For applicants who have not obtained their bachelor’s degree in Germany or at Maastricht University: 1 May 2017
The admissions boards of both the University of Cologne and Maastricht University will assess all applications. Applicants that are shortlisted after assessment of the written application will be invited for a personal interview to the University of Cologne in June. The admissions board will communicate its decision no later than the end of July. Enrolment takes place in late August or early September.
If your application for the Double Master’s Programme is not successful, your application may still be considered for the regular MSc in Health Economics at the University of Cologne given that all entry requirements are fulfilled.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 29, 2016